Search and copyright

dbo

I'm brainstorming ideas for a real time search application and I'm wondering how copyright comes into play for this. I realize this isn't a forum for legal advice, but just looking for more general thoughts right now. Google obviously does some linking to images on other sites, pricing type of stuff with it's Froogle service, etc.

From your perspectives where is the line drawn when it comes into looking at data on other websites?

As long as you're referencing and linking I think you're pretty flexible with it. Facebook for exmple.... If you write a link into a message facebook follows the url, goes through the dom to find the first image on page (usually a logo) and displays that as well, both link directly to the url as stated.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about inbound links

Though if there is a lot of page content I can't imagine them being completely happy with taking the whole page content and re-displaying. I think you have to be intelligent and take enough for a decent reference without going over board.

This is a personal view.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.