Problems with Configuring PHP, MySQL and MyPHPAdmin

Hi, I am a recent convert from Microsoft to the Opensource community, so please bear with me. (Oh this is my first post in this forum :D)

First some stats about my setup:

PHP: Version 5.2.9-2

Database: MySQL 5.1.35-win32

Trying to install: PHPMyAdmin3.2.0

Webserver: Apache 2.2.11

I have already developed a (basic) PHP website and I can call the phpinfo() to see all the information about my PHP installation so I believe the webserver and PHP installation seems to be up and running correctly.

The Database msi file was fine to install and configure. I used the "developer" configuration from the installation wizard.

But as I understand, MySQL does not provide a Client application for managing your databases. Anyways, I found this application called phpMyAdmin which seems to do the job.

In the php.ini I have added following lines to ensure the MySQL extensions are utilised:

Under section "Paths and Directories":

extension_dir ="C:\Program Files\PHP\ext"

I had to manually create the ext directory as it was not there from the original installation.

Under section "Dynamic Extensions":

extension=php_msqli.dll

I downloaded the above php_msqli.dll and libmysql.dll from here and dropped them in the ext directory of my PHP installation.

I configured the file config.inc.php in the root directory of MyPHPAdmin. Here is an excerpt from that:

<?php
/*
* Generated configuration file
* Generated by: phpMyAdmin 3.2.0 setup script by Piotr Przybylski <piotrprz@gmail.com>
* Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:41:20 +0000
*/

/* Servers configuration */

$i=0;

/* Server: My local dev machine [1] */
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'My local dev machine';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'xxxxxxx';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['ssl'] = false;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['SignonURL'] = 'scripts/signon.php';

/* End of servers configuration */

$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = '4a49d8a327d8e5.15294135';
$cfg['ShowPhpInfo'] = true;
$cfg['SQLQuery'] = array (
  'Validate' => true,
);
$cfg['Export'] = array (
  'charset' => 'utf-8',
);
$cfg['UploadDir'] = '';
$cfg['SaveDir'] = '';
$cfg['GZipDump'] = false;
$cfg['BZipDump'] = false;
$cfg['ZipDump'] = false;
$cfg['ForceSSL'] = false;
$cfg['DefaultLang'] = 'en-utf-8';
$cfg['ServerDefault'] = 1;
?>

So to my problem:

When I try to load the phpMyAdmin locally on my browswer I get the following error:

"phpMyAdmin - Error

Cannot load mysqli  extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation".

I am thankful for any suggestions!

// Ville

I have already developed a (basic) PHP website and I can call the phpinfo() to see all the information about my PHP installation so I believe the webserver and PHP installation seems to be up and running correctly.

phpinfo() will tell you which php.ini file it is reading; it will be located near the top and called loaded configuration file.  Make sure it is the php.ini you expected it to be.  The fact that you had to create the extension directory is a little alarming as well.

Hi roopurt,

I checked the phpinfo() and the Loaded Configuration File is in the same directory:

"C:\Program Files\PHP\php.ini"

And I agree its a bit strange that it did not create the extension directory the when I installed PHP.

I have been thinking as another option to install PHP5.3 as it has been recently released.

One of the changes is apparently that the configuration file defaults with the MySQL settings and you should be ready to go straight away.

Does anyone know how hard it is to upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3? (Keep in mind, I am complete rookie in this stuff  :))

I really want a simple stock standard configuration at this stage (with MySQL capability).

Or perhaps its easier to delete the previous installation and install 5.3?

Thanks,

I guess you have used the PHP installer. In this case the installer only installs the extensions you choose in the setup wizard. To enable extensions you need to reconfigure your PHP installation from the Windows Add /Remove Programs utility

One of the changes is apparently that the configuration file defaults with the MySQL settings and you should be ready to go straight away.

Its the new MySQL connector (client library called mysqlnd) that is built in to php5.3. The mysql or mysqli extensions still need to be enabled to use PHP with MySQL.

I guess you have used the PHP installer. In this case the installer only installs the extensions you choose in the setup wizard. To enable extensions you need to reconfigure your PHP installation from the Windows Add /Remove Programs utility

Thanks, I had to delete the files that I manually added to the ext directory in the first place. Then I added all the PHP extras as you described. But then I had some hickups with Apache. After going through some error logs and testing changes in httpd-conf I could not get Apache to restart, then my computer crashed (bluescreen). Started it up and voila! Its all up and running!

Random random but its working for now at least :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.