Help: Creating a simple PHP login with cookies

JC99

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a PHP login script using cookies but am having some troubles. Basically here is my setup

index.php -> login.php -> admin.php

I want a form on the index.php script that has the username and password and passes the $_POST['username'] and $_POST['password'] variables to login.php

Then login.php authenticates against a database of allowed users (Which I already is setup and works fine) and also (and I am not sure about this) sets the cookie info from the form.

Finally admin.php is loaded. The admin.php code would look like the following..

<?php
if (isset($_COOKIE['username']) && isset($_COOKIE['password']) {
echo "success!";
} else {
echo "Failure";
}
?>?>

So basically I need to somehow create a cookie from index.php and pass the information to login.php and then pass the information to admin.php.

Anyone know how to do this?

index.php -> login.php -> admin.php

Yeah, I know about that. But I am obviously using it the wrong way cause its not working.I set the cookie like this...

setcookie("Admin", $username);

Do I set the cookie on index.php (where the login form is) or login.php which the forms loads when my username and password are submitted. And if I set it on index.php, how do I access it on admin.php?

Just a note: The login.php just checks that the user is a valid by authenticating with the database and then, if everything is valid, uses the following code to load admin.php.

header("location:admin.php");

I finally got it working. I needed to setcookie() in login.php. Also, the names of the cookies where wrong(They where Admin when they should have been adminuser and adminpass) Once I fixed that then the following worked in admin.php...

<?php
if (isset($_COOKIE['adminuser']) && isset($_COOKIE['adminpass'])) {
echo "Success";
} else {
echo "Failed";
}
?>

Although the script may work, it isn't exactly secure. Consider that cookies can be added / modified so easily, just testing if the cookie has been set isn't secure enough, because they can just add it. There's also the chance of cookie stealing scripts obtaining your login info; you'd be better off using PHP sessions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.