Is it possible to make a slot machine?

Molarmite

I'm looking to make a slot machine with php.  I have a general script but it's only one line and all text.  I would like to know if it's possible to get pictures associated with each variable, and possibly see them spinning like a real slot machine or would that last part require flash? 

I'm just curious if it's possible to build a good looking slot machine before I advance any farther.  My MSN is joli334@yahoo.com, my AIM is juicebox3313, either post here or it would be easier to send me a message on either one of those if you want to help.  Thanks.

I'm not the most experienced at this, I don't mind reading a few articles to get this done.  The main thing I'm wondering is, does this sound like something complicated?  Hopefully it's something I can do as a beginner.

<?php

/*

*/

$faces = array ('Cherry', 'Bar', 'Double Bar', 'Triple Bar', 'Diamond', 'Seven');

$payouts = array (
    'Bar|Bar|Bar' => '5',
    'Double Bar|Double Bar|Double Bar' => '10',
    'Triple Bar|Triple Bar|Triple Bar' => '15',

'Cherry|Cherry|Cherry' => '20',
    'Seven|Seven|Seven' => '70',
    'Diamond|Diamond|Diamond' => '100',
);

$wheel1 = array();
foreach ($faces as $face) 
{
       $wheel1[] = $face;
}
$wheel2 = array_reverse($wheel1);

$wheel3 = $wheel1;

if (isset($_POST['payline'])) 
{
    list($start1, $start2, $start3) = unserialize($_POST['payline']);
} 

else {
    list($start1, $start2, $start3) = array(0,0,0);
}

$stop1 = rand(count($wheel1)+$start1, 10*count($wheel1)) % count($wheel1);

$stop2 = rand(count($wheel1)+$start2, 10*count($wheel1)) % count($wheel1);

$stop3 = rand(count($wheel1)+$start3, 10*count($wheel1)) % count($wheel1);

$result1 = $wheel1[$stop1];

$result2 = $wheel2[$stop2];

$result3 = $wheel3[$stop3];

echo "Result: " . $result1 . ' ' . $result2 . ' ' . $result3 . "<br />";

if (isset($payouts[$result1.'|'.$result2.'|'.$result3])) 

{
    // give the payout
    echo "You won : " . $payouts[$result1.'|'.$result2.'|'.$result3];
}
?>

<br />

<form method='post'>
<input type='hidden' name='payline' value='<?php echo serialize(array($stop1, $stop2, $stop3)) ?>' 

/>
<input type='submit' value='spin the wheel' />
</form>

This is what I got so far.  Let me know if it gets more complicated than this or not.

My skill level is bare minimum.  I know general stuff like how to make variables, if/else statements, echo statements, mostly just basic stuff like that.  I know that I'll have some reading to do, but it would be nice to know ahead of time how much I will need to know.

You can just integrate the images with a simple html-based echo within your php, that would be by far the easiest. However, for a smooth alternative I'd use a javascript/ajax system. Also you may want to consider preloading all images or else it'll take too long to load them all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.