[SOLVED] HTML showing in browser

nomadsoul

Hi,

I am using notepad and notepad++, but the html still shows in both IE and FF with or without Doc Type declarations.

I make sure it is saving as .html and not .txt.

But on another computer, with the same setup (xp) everything renders properly.  It must be a file extension thing. 

Anyone else been through this?

TIA

No Server just my other computer.

And I am just typing in notepad, saving in a folder and clicking the browser icon as I've always done.

When I save, the dialog box defaults to .txt, so that when I save it becomes: index.html.txt  and the drop down defalults to save as type .txt.  I then change it to : all types then UTF-8.

I think it is forcing the save as a .txt file no matter what I call it even after removing the .txt extension.

The other computer has a Chinese version of XP but we save to UTF-8 and also have set language to English.  Maybe this is causing the problem.  But I have written code using Chinese XP and still have no trouble.

I've posted this problem in several places and you are the first to respond so, thanks.

I solved it.

When my girlfriend (who I was helping make a webpage) inserted the <> tags, she used the special pinyin characters instead of the regular <> so that the html looked ok but the browser didn't recognize them.

I know this is an obscure problem but if you are ever in China teaching html, don't let your students use any special pinyin characters no matter how normal they appear

Thanks for your time and help.

I've had similar situations happen with having double-byte spaces included in my html document. You can't see them, because they are a space, but they are read as character at times and not a space, and throw up errors!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.