[SOLVED] makes no sense..

Michdd

I have a simple query and I'm trying to check to see if a board already exists with the same name or abbreviation, excluding the current board.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `boards` WHERE name!='$board' AND abb='$abb' OR name='$newBoardName'");
	$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
	if(!mysql_num_rows($result))
                {

}
                 else
                 {
                      echo $board . '-' . $row['name'];
                 }

How is it possible that $board is the same as $row['name'] when that's clearly excluded in my query?

I think your query is wrong.

There is 2 ways of doing it...I think.

mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `boards` WHERE name!='{$board}' AND abb='{$abb}' OR name='{$newBoardName}'");

or

mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `boards` WHERE name!='".$board."' AND abb='".$abb."' OR name='".$newBoardName."'");

To clarify my post above, it looks like you expect your query to be executed like this:

SELECT * FROM `boards` WHERE name!='$board' AND (abb='$abb' OR name='$newBoardName')

But that's not the case. It'll be executed like this:

SELECT * FROM `boards` WHERE (name!='$board' AND abb='$abb') OR name='$newBoardName'

Because:

AND has higher precedence than OR.

Which is why it's possible that $row['name'] == $board in your result set.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.