php script for sales

busnut

G'day

Here is my objective... I am planning on making a website where people can purchase items from me, whereby the customer selects the type of item they want, they then select the picture they want (from either their computer of my pre-defined images), then they select the quantity and then add to cart whereby they customer can pay by paypal. If at all possible, when they select a picture, it will then display their picture in the item so they can get a generalisation of what it will look like (the items are various sizes of keyrings, magnets, drink coasters and hopefully sometime down the track, coffee mugs).

I've looked through a few e-commerce scripts and haven't really found anything that takes my fancy, so firstly, does anybody know of a script that will do what i'm looking for? Secondly, if not, whats the best way to go about it. Somehow i'm thinking its going to involve an SQL table somewhere. But ultimately, I want the customers details and image sent via email so I can process the order).

I also should stress, i'm not looking for any paid software, the reason being is i've just recently became un-employed due to a crook back, thus no money coming in, and am on a very tight budget, and therefore looking at different business ventures.

Any ideas, solutions or suggestions?

[attachment deleted by admin]

if you're new to PHP, this might not be the best thing to start off on.

It will almost certainly require SQL of some sort. You will need a generic image upload script and probably a re-size script too. Each of these can be complex, especially if you are to test for virtual size (memory required) and file type. it may be better to try something else... Especially if you have just been laid off and need to get money in quickly. Failing that, Google for image upload and learn SQL quick!

if you're new to PHP, this might not be the best thing to start off on.

It will almost certainly require SQL of some sort. You will need a generic image upload script and probably a re-size script too. Each of these can be complex, especially if you are to test for virtual size (memory required) and file type. it may be better to try something else... Especially if you have just been laid off and need to get money in quickly. Failing that, Google for image upload and learn SQL quick!

G'day, and thanks for responding. Already know abit about php, but not too indepth, and the same for sql also, its just I don't exactly how to get the user to upload their image with their details to my email (using the php send mail method).

In your own best intrest you'd better use that what is available although it doesn't satisfy all your current ideas but I guess that in the end you want to make an income instead of being proud of something that doesn't do the trick.

Plus, it's not only programming. You have to deal with other aspects aswell, like: usability, accessibility and findability. Especially the latter, if your customers can't find you, then you won't gain any income. If you build your application yourself with an insufficient knowlegde of the languages involved will surely break your application at some point which means you will lose income and this increases for every customer who is unable to use your application during that time. Decide on a system, template it to fit your specific style and you will be up-and-running in some good 3 days.

And in the meantime learn the languages you need, perform research on several topics like usability, accessibility and findability (seo). Find out what the most common mistakes are with todays e-commerce systems (plus, learn where your competition fails) and apply their solutions and your common sense to your in-house product. And when it is finished, notify your customers that the website will be changing (altough make sure the change isn't to big or you may lose some) and launch it in the night, when their is no-one on the website. Have a nice cup of chocolate and head to bed ;)

Thanks guys, I had a feeling thats probably where i'll end up going with it unfortunately. Not really the ultimate goal, but whilst my php & mysql is still at novice stage, but enough to get me by, its certainly not at the level to be dealling around with online transactions.

Another idea, and if this is possible, what about similar to what i'm wanting, but more so setup so they advise what they want with the uploading images, which then emails me and I get back to them with a quote, design and paypal money order transaction?

If thats at all possible, how do I go about getting images uploaded from their machine to my email? Or another form of system thats somewhat accessible by both them and myself?

Thanks guys, I had a feeling thats probably where i'll end up going with it unfortunately. Not really the ultimate goal, but whilst my php & mysql is still at novice stage, but enough to get me by, its certainly not at the level to be dealling around with online transactions.

That's why I'm suggesting you'd better choose a system which satisfies the most of your needs.

Another idea, and if this is possible, what about similar to what i'm wanting, but more so setup so they advise what they want with the uploading images, which then emails me and I get back to them with a quote, design and paypal money order transaction?

I am not entirely understanding what you are trying to do. Do you want the customer to create an image or take a photo of something they want and submit it to you with their details?

If thats at all possible, how do I go about getting images uploaded from their machine to my email?

I believe that would be an attachment.

Or another form of system thats somewhat accessible by both them and myself?

A server is accessible by both you (the owner) and your customers (24/7). You'll need a server anyway as you need people to be able to find you or find contact information (street address, phone number, fax number, e-mail address, ..). You will also need to start advertising your business, luckily the internet allows you to do this without spending to much money (for example: create a facebook account (or group) and add your customers as friends and keep them in the loop). All free of charge ;)

Without probably going down the ecommerce side of things until I see if the business gets up and running, is more so an order form where the customer enters their details, they select what products they want, but upload an image they have that they want, and they then submit it which then sends me a notification of their intended purchase, i then edit the photo to suite the item (ie, crop the picture into a keyring so they can see the result before committing to buy), then I email them back with a paypal money order of which they can accept or decline.

Its probably the uploading of an image (attachment) that im really not sure on at this stage.

Without probably going down the ecommerce side of things until I see if the business gets up and running, is more so an order form where the customer enters their details, they select what products they want, but upload an image they have that they want, and they then submit it which then sends me a notification of their intended purchase, i then edit the photo to suite the item (ie, crop the picture into a keyring so they can see the result before committing to buy), then I email them back with a paypal money order of which they can accept or decline.

Its probably the uploading of an image (attachment) that im really not sure on at this stage.

You are probably selling more then just keyrings and adjusting the image to fit the keyring is actually just an extra service you provide towards your customers and possibly only for keyrings. So I'm questioning the importance of this service for your business? Ofcourse if your business is all about fitting images into keyrings. Then ofcourse you need a customized script and I would suggest going to job boards where you would place your script specification and they will provide you with their price on which you pick which one may start the development of this script.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.