Top Command

pjoshi

Hi,

top command shows the multiple instances (min 7-8 instances) of the same application with different PID wherein the PS command shows only one instance.

I would like to know whether memory (RAM) utilised by the application is only once as shown in 'SIZE' column or multiplied by the number of instances shown in the top command. If this is the case a large volume of memory is getting blocked in this process. How can I overcome this?

Thanks in anticipation.

I executed the command ps -aef, but that ended up in showing all the processes that are running.

My query was when I give top command it shows multiple instances of the same application with different PID. So is it utilizing the memory (RAM) only once (as per the size mentioned in the application) or the size gets multiplied by number of time the top command displays the application.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.