Buy and sell template

waynewex

Looking for a bright feel to this one. Here's a screenshot. Any feedback would be appreciated; especially welcome are some ideas in regards to colors that I should use for content boxes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

It wouldn't be the first time..

Check out this link: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/die2006-0005.html

It wasn't just about the site name, it was about the trademark.  They had registered buy-sell as a business name and everything... didn't protect them.

Why start a site by trying to piggy back on a successful site?  Would it not be better to start off something original where you won't run the risk of being shut down?  Or are you going to copy them entirely and live off adsense on your site for as long as you can get away with it?

Interesting. Have you seen donedeal.ie? They use the tag "Buy and Sell Anything in Ireland" and they've been successful for years. They even charge €3 per advert and as far as I know, they get close to 6000 classifieds a day.

To be honest, I haven't even looked at buyandsell.ie at all. I'm programming and designing the system from scratch, and aim to make it more usable and cleaner looking than the rest. I don't expect to make much, so my expectations are pretty low. I'm trying to get myself through my last year of college, and this route seems the most profitable and attainable for me. Sure, the market is pretty saturated and there are tonnes of Irish buy and sell websites out there. However, you can always pass out the competition if you pay attention to usability and overall design.

For example, if you look at buyandsell.ie, they're using "dirty" URLs for categories. There is something that can be improved on. They also force you to sign up in order to place an advert. Donedeal do not request that you sign up. Just submit, pay the €3 and wait for somebody to contact you about what you're selling. As far as I can make out, nearly all of buyandsell's URLs are dynamic. Surely if they used a mod rewrite and turned URLs such as

http://buyandsell.ie/search/quick_search?category[id]=33-Cars-for-Sale

into

http://buyandsell.ie/search/quick_search/Cars-for-Sale

it would be better?

I hadn't seen donedeal.ie

I'm surprised!

I agree that you can make a site that's a lot cleaner.  The url example you gave is certainly nicer to look at.  I don't think it would rank any better though since both contain the same keywords.

Best of luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.