Custom password characters

demophoon88

I just wanna ask upon how to change the custom characters outputed from <input type="password"> when a user types. Like for example instead of bullets(firefox) or asterisks(IE), the output would be japanese characters or some random characters.

:'(

please move this post if it does not belong here coz i think it may need some javascript or something..

thanks.. :P

There is no browser friendly way to style the password field directly. What you will have to do is use Javascript either to edit a hidden input field when a key is pressed (although it will get tricky with deletes) or switch between regular input and password when it goes in and out of focus.

It seems rather unnecessary to me though  ;)

I know I've seen an example of this somewhere, but to be honest it would be foolish to implement in my opinion. To accomplish this you would have to create a workaround to the browsers default handling of password fields or use some sort of hack to a regular input field. You might get it to work in most, or maybe even all, current scenarios. But, for a password input even one failure would be unacceptable to me. The consequences would be either the password would be displayed in plain-text (kinda bad) or the password the user thinks they types gets mangled somehow which would prevent them from logging in (really bad).

You would have to 'hack' a regular input field. Place each typed character into an array/stack/vector/etc.. and display the character of choice in your text field each time a user types a letter. Pretty easy to do, however, what if the user does not have the character set on their machine that you use? Their password would be displayed out in the open.

I don't think wingdings is a standard font on macs (I may be wrong though - I'm a PC user). If it's not, then that may display differently on macs.

You are correct. This whole subject is pointless in my opinion. It adds absolutely no value to the user and trying to implement a hack could only serve to create a security risk.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.