checking if popup gets closed

AV1611

I'm starting here because I believe this is a PHP question but maybe not?

ok,

when you start index.php, as popup page opens, called page2.php.

The popup plays music via a flashplayer... not important.

So, I need a way to monitor from index.php if the popup is still open or if they closed it.

I gather that sessions cannot be shared between the popup and the main page.

So, is there a way?

PHP is a server-side technology, whereas Flash, JavaScript are client-side. PHP generates the HTML code that causes the flashplayers etc. to appear in the user browser, so when they become active, PHP script is not executed anymore. This also applies to your situation: your index.php file cannot control the execution of the flashplayer in pop-up in real time, because it was closed already closed once it generated the HTML code and sent it to the browser.

You can notify the server on closing pop-ups with AJAX, but this will create a new HTTP request and a new PHP script to be executed that will generate the answer. Fortunately, it will see the session created by the first script.

Thank you for your replies.

As I don't know anything about JS or Ajax, I don't think I can go further unless someone gives me more help...

Am I correct that if I set a session variable in the popup script (popup.php) that I cannot read that variable from index.php because it's a different browser instance?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.