How ethical to use Javascript libraries that are available on the net?

clxkzj

I want to do something with JavaScript on my website but don't know how to implement it, but i've found it has already been written by someone and is available to download free as they've put it on net.

So is it right morally to use something that someone has already been written? does this count as cheating? does it infringe any copyright?

So is it right morally to use something that someone has already been written?

No. Why should it be?

does this count as cheating?

I would say that depends on what you mean by 'cheating'. If you're doing work for a paying client and they have specifically asked for a custom-made solution, then yes, you are cheating your customer. Or, if this is a project for a course and you've been requested to write everything yourself then yes, you are cheating. Otherwise, it cannot really be cheating. You're simply selecting the correct tool for the job rather than re-inventing the wheel. What's so bad about that?

does it infringe any copyright?

That would entirely depend on the license under which the library was released and how you use it. You may find, for example, that the code is free to use for non-commercial purposes. Or, alternatively, that you can use it in any way you like as long as you maintain a link on your website/a copyright notice in the code. You'll have to check the documentation of the library. 

Ginger is absolute right, it depends entirely on the situation. Do you mean libraries such as jQuery or prototype? If so, then you are of course free to use them. If you find other scripts or libraries you wish to use be sure to check what the license allows you to do with them.

Also, choose wisely. No need using the entire jQuery library if you only need a few lines of javascript on your site.

[...] is available to download free as they've put it on net.

Just wanted to point out that "can do" does not automatically mean "is allowed to do". You can for instance also download the PHP Freaks logo for "free", but that doesn't mean it's freely available to use by everybody else.

I interpret your post as you asking if it's okay to take content (hereunder code) from other web sites. Unless the owner of that content has given explicit permission to do so, that is not allowed and it would be copyright infringement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.