[SOLVED] Ajax and Cookies

cappo

Hi there!

I am new to this board and I hope someone can help me with a little problem of mine. The whole thing can be summarized as follows: Is it possible to read cookies in a php-script which has been called using AJAX? If so, how?

I'll give you a more detailed example of what I need:

I have a website, which uses two cookies: One with the username, one with the password.

There is page which calls a PHP-Script using AJAX (to be more precise: I use SAJAX). This PHP-Script needs to know the information stored in the two cookies. Just reading the cookies as normal does not seem to work when I call the script using AJAX.

I want to avoid reading the cookies on the original page and then passing on the values to the php-script, because of security concerns.

I really appreciate any help!

These two statements seam to conflict!

I have a website, which uses two cookies: One with the username, one with the password.

I want to avoid reading the cookies on the original page and then passing on the values to the php-script, because of security concerns.

PHP can read cookies like so

echo $_COOKIE['insecure']; //returns data

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

Actually the two statements do not conflict. When talking about "a website" I should have written something like my "internet project in general" or so.

To clarify:

- I have two cookies already set.

- I have a website which does not read those cookies. This website calls a php script using AJAX.

- The called php script needs the infos written in those two cookies.

- echo $_COOKIE['insecure']; works when I call the PHP script directly

- echo $_COOKIE['insecure']; does NOT work for me when I call the PHP script using AJAX

- I want to know how I can read the cookie when calling the PHP script using AJAX. At least with SAJAX as a framework it does not seem to work "the normal way"

Okay, I found the error.

For some odd reason $HTTP_COOKIE_VARS["cookiename"] does not work in a PHP script called with AJAX. It works in a direct call.

$_COOKIE[cookiename] -as suggested by MadTechie- works with AJAX.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.