[SOLVED] strtotime function is messing up

reece_1989

Ive got a slight problem that ive been trying to fix for hours and have NO idea at all ??

as you know the mysql db store dates yyyy-mm-dd

so ive modified my php coding so it enters dates in the db correctly etc.

BUT if the date is 0000-00-00 (i.e. nothing entered) then my site displays random old dates ??? :wtf:

my temp solution was using an if statment so if date = 0000-00-00 then display "" (nothing).

problem is when someone uses my update form and doesnt enter anything for date then a random date is put in the db (and then we dont know whther this is real or not) ?? im so stuck!

--what ive done so far: ---

when displaying dates on my site i want them in UK time

so i convert them to time:

<? 
$time = strtotime($date); 
?> 

and then to show on page:

echo "$time

this works fine!

when using an update form in php user enter date in UK format then i convert to time then yyyy-mm-dd -this enters dates into the db perfectly.

I dont have a clue :(  :facewall:

Thanks :)  ps. sorry its so confusing but its quite early in the morning :)

You should set the mysql date field as a NULL field. If a date isn't entered into your form then your sql should insert NULL, not an empty value (SET dateField=NULL). You are correct all dates should be in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. When outputting the date you should check for a value first

if($row['dateField']) {
$row['dateField'] = date("d-m-Y", strtotime($row['dateField']));
}
print $row['dateField'];

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.