max_allowed_packet and size of query

abazoskib

my max_allowed_packet is set to 32MB. if my queries consist of a format like:

INSERT into table from SELECT ... WHERE customer_id IN (213232,23232,2323, etc)

how long of an array would i be able to manage successfully within the IN section? im not looking for an exact answer, but it would be awesome if i could put in 50,000 or more id numbers in there

ok here it goes. there is data in a stage 1 table. it needs to be "cleaned/processed" instead of performing inserts and updates on each single record, i am saving the ID numbers of each row into an array after they have been processed -> one array for the good ones, one for the bad

now at the end of the processing i perform a bulk insert using

insert into final_tbl from select xxx from first_tbl ... where xx IN( id#, id#, id#...)

and the same for the deletion of the bad numbers. this cut down my queries from 3 per record to about 4 total queries. the speed gain was UNBELIEVABLE. if there is an even faster way to do this I would love to hear it.

Hum...wow...that is a tough one. Personally I would still go with a per-record query, that way if the script fails for some reason half way through, you don't loose your place.

If it helps, you can always add a column and flag it with an UPDATE query as you go. Then, add the end you can do:

INSERT into table from SELECT ... WHERE processed = 1

Worst case, if you are worried it getting truncated, just split the array up into 1,000 record chunks with array_chunk():

<?php
  foreach(array_chunk($array,1000) as $list){
    $sql = "INSERT into table from SELECT ... WHERE customer_id IN (".implode(',',$list).")";
    mysql_query($sql);
  }
?>

Hum...wow...that is a tough one. Personally I would still go with a per-record query, that way if the script fails for some reason half way through, you don't loose your place.

If it helps, you can always add a column and flag it with an UPDATE query as you go. Then, add the end you can do:

INSERT into table from SELECT ... WHERE processed = 1

Worst case, if you are worried it getting truncated, just split the array up into 1,000 record chunks with array_chunk():

<?php
  foreach(array_chunk($array,1000) as $list){
    $sql = "INSERT into table from SELECT ... WHERE customer_id IN (".implode(',',$list).")";
    mysql_query($sql);
  }
?>

one step ahead of you, before the query goes through, i serialize and save to file the arrays of good and bad IDs. if the source fails, I simply load up the arrays and place them into the proper table.

nice point with the array chunk function.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.