[SOLVED] Set textboxes to readonly...?

A JM

I'm trying to set my forms textboxes to readonly only if a varible is set, can someone help me with what I'm dong wrong?

<?php
      if ($readonlytextboxes == 1) {
            echo "<script type='text/javascript'>";
            echo "alert('readonly')";
            echo "for(i=0; i<document.form1.elements.length; i++)";
            echo "{";
            echo "if(document.form1.elements[i].type=='text')";
            echo "{";
            echo "document.form1.elements[i].readOnly=true";
            echo "}";
            echo "}";
            echo "</script>";
      }
?>

I don't know how to make this happen so I was just giving it a go..

The form has a multi-use, for some users $readonlytextboxes == 0 I want them to be able to input information into the textboxes for other users $readonlytextboxes == 1 I just want them to be able to view the contents of the textboxes and not be able to edit/make changes.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

A JM,

If you are anyway echoing your whole forms in php it would be the same aswell do this disabling / enabling in php side without JS. In php just check the users status if he /she is allowed to input or not ad then create the forms for him that way, meaning for other users you echo disabled/readonly elements. Also JS can be disabled by user so if you do it with JS it might not work for everyone and it is very easy to get by.

something along the lines of this is what you want

<form>
<input type="text" name="username" <?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo "READONLY"; }>
</form>

basically, use php to determine the user's capability.  if he is not able to edit that part of the form, set the readonly flag

Just remember when the user submits the form you have to check again that they have permission to update the field before you actually update it.  If you send a form field to my browser disabled I can easily enable it and modify the contents.

something along the lines of this is what you want

<form>
<input type="text" name="username" <?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo "READONLY"; }>
</form>

basically, use php to determine the user's capability.  if he is not able to edit that part of the form, set the readonly flag

Lonewolf, that makes some sense how do I actually implement that on my form?

This is an example:

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="<?php echo htmlentities($row_rstocdetail['clnt_name'], ENT_COMPAT, 'utf-8'); ?>" size="50" />

would it look like this?

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="<?php echo htmlentities($row_rstocdetail['clnt_name'], ENT_COMPAT, 'utf-8'); ?>" readonly=<?php if(!$readonlytextboxes) { echo "true"; }> size="50" />

Rather than guessing why not refer to some documentation on what is valid within an input-tag?

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_input.asp

According to that it should be:

<input type="text" <!-- other stuff --> readonly="readonly" />

Unfourtunately since I'm not familiar with how to accomplish this I have to resort to guessing and reading and asking... this by the way no workey..

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="<?php echo htmlentities($row_rstocdetail['clnt_name'], ENT_COMPAT, 'utf-8'); ?>" <?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo readOnly="readOnly"; }?> size="50" />

Nor does this:

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="<?php echo htmlentities($row_rstocdetail['clnt_name'], ENT_COMPAT, 'utf-8'); ?>" <?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo "READONLY"; }?> size="50" />

However lonewolf - the textbox has been set to readonly in the above instance, but never to allow editing.

I verified that indeed when the record is selected the variable is either a 0 or 1.

//if user is not allowed set variable for turning off the textbox capability it will be a 1 else a 0
$readonlytextboxes = $row_rstocdetail['chk_allowediting'];
print_r($readonlytextboxes);
exit;

Lonewolf, actually this did work... I was using the wrong variable... user error - many thanks!

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="<?php echo htmlentities($row_rstocdetail['clnt_name'], ENT_COMPAT, 'utf-8'); ?>" <?php if($readonlytextboxes) { echo "READONLY"; }?> size="50" />

Last question on this subject - roopurt18 was warning about verifying that the user can update when submitting. Could someone give me some insight into what he is referring and how would I avoid this from happening?

Thanks.

A JM,

he is referring to the fact that you can override the disable function (personally i dont think i know how, but i think its possible) so what you need to do is you need to put an additional check into your validation code.

on your backend where you process the form, check to make sure the user who submitted the form is allowed to submit the particular field before trying to submit it to your database

This is what your output needs to look like:

<input type="text" <!-- other stuff --> readonly="readonly" />

Load the page, view the HTML source, and find the input control you're trying to create.  Find the part of it where you think the readonly="readonly" should have been and see what's actually there.

Then change your script and try it again.  Repeat this until the output (i.e. the HTML source sent to the browser) is what it's supposed to be.

Here's a big hint:

// You have this code in your post above...ITS NOT VALID PHP.
<?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo readOnly="readOnly"; }?>

// But this is:
<?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo 'readonly="readonly"'; }?>

And the documentation that I provided to you says it has to be:

readonly="readonly"  <-- That right there is what HAS to be in the HTML output

readOnly="readOnly"  <-- That is what you're trying to send. 

Why is your O capitalized?  If the documentation has it lowercase, then you do it lowercase.  ;)

Last question on this subject - roopurt18 was warning about verifying that the user can update when submitting. Could someone give me some insight into what he is referring and how would I avoid this from happening?

I, or anyone else for that matter, can submit to your forms without using their web browser.  PHP has extensions that allow you to send POSTs to URLs as if you were a web browser.  In that case it wouldn't matter that you told me the field was readonly; I'd just post to it anyways.

Alternatively a user can open the page in their browser and then save it to their hard drive.  You then edit the HTML on your local hard drive to change the form action to the appropriate URL and remove the readonly="readonly" from the input-tag.  You can then open the file back up in a web browser, fill out the form, and submit it back to the originating web site.

Therefore adding readonly="readonly" to the input is a good way of letting the user know they can't change it.  But if you don't recheck their ability to edit the field on the page that receives the form POST, they'll just get around your readonly control in one of the manners I mentioned above.

This is what the source looks like:

<input type="text" name="clnt_name" id="clnt_name" tabindex="3" class="form-inputitem" value="namea" READONLY size="50" />

I had been seeing people reference the uppercase "O" for browser reasons not sure of the reasoning behind it though.

I'll try <?php if(!$userIsAbleToEditThisBox) { echo 'readonly="readonly"'; }?> and see how it goes.

A JM,

I, or anyone else for that matter, can submit to your forms without using their web browser.  PHP has extensions that allow you to send POSTs to URLs as if you were a web browser.  In that case it wouldn't matter that you told me the field was readonly; I'd just post to it anyways.

Alternatively a user can open the page in their browser and then save it to their hard drive.  You then edit the HTML on your local hard drive to change the form action to the appropriate URL and remove the readonly="readonly" from the input-tag.  You can then open the file back up in a web browser, fill out the form, and submit it back to the originating web site.

Therefore adding readonly="readonly" to the input is a good way of letting the user know they can't change it.  But if you don't recheck their ability to edit the field on the page that receives the form POST, they'll just get around your readonly control in one of the manners I mentioned above.

Assuming your a logged in user on my site then I think that would make sense.

By the way this also works.

<?php if($readonlytextboxes) { echo "readonly=readonly"; }?>

not necessarily true.  I can make a page with this

<form>
<input type="text" name="username" READONLY>
</form>

and the field will be readonly

And your markup will be invalid and can cause all sorts of problems with CSS and JavaScript.  But be my guest.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.