Getting knocked off my own site in IE, okay in Firefox

randalusa

Various members have been complaining for a couple years about logging in, then getting booted to the "Can't find your session" page.

Though highly concerned, I could hardly begin diagnosing if unable to duplicate the problem on my own machine, and thus experiment with browser settings to find out which would make a difference.

Yesterday morning that changed. The night before, my computer lagged shutting down due to a long auto-update. Upon logging in the following morning, okay, I'm in. But clicking on any other page knocked me right back off.

I have seen a similar situation when the database table for sessions crashed. But no crash this time. Moreover, other people were navigating the site just fine using either browser.

I started up Firefox yesterday to see how it might behave. That let me in with nary a clue of the IE situation.

The sessions are homemade, created by multiplying some number (forgetting which) by the rand() function, then inserting into the sessions table. That code is transferred from page to page through hidden form fields. I believe there is a cookie involved also. This was all designed prior to the Php implementation of sessions.

Short of tearing out the entire sessions mechanism and replacing with the built-in Php function (which I would be willing to do, though lack that level of skill), I am at a loss figuring out how to repair whatever is going on with IE to create so much difficulty.

Wondering if anyone might have a clue. Possibly a longshot. We'll see.

I could restore my computer to a day before the recent update. That would probably get IE to accept my site again. But I would then lose the means for diagnosing the problem.

PS: I already had the site listed on the Security tab for those allowing cookies from.

I doubt the site has ever validated properly. Just too much mishmash of code going on. And yet 98% of the members log in fine. So I am guessing the blame lies elsewhere, thought it could end up being helpful in some ways cleaning up that code.

Cookies, no, they're still being accepted. For instance, when I came to this forum, it already had my username in the greeting.

Hi

If there has been an update could it have turned off cookies?

Also possibly worth checking that the generated pages validate properly. Possible that they are not correct but that some browsers cope with the bugs.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.