SQL Question

mcmuney

I have a situation where I need to pull 5 results from the DB. One of the results I will specify within the query; however, the remainder 4 needs to be two id's below and two above. For example:

Data_ID

My query will be... WHERE Data_ID=13

Based on this query, I want the results to show:

13 (specified in query)

Currently, I'm getting the result, but utilizing 5 queries and I wanted to know if there's an easier way to do this.

Thanks.

But the issue is that the id's will not be in sequence. I just gave a simple example, but I can have a situation like this:

Data_ID

In this case, if my query specified 7000, I'd need to see the following:

70000 (specified in query)

Thanks.

I reversed the UNION, which gets me close, having some issues with the order. I got it to show like this, but notice how the first two are in reversed order. If I change the DESC to ASC, then it pulls numbers from the very beginning.

70000 (specified in query)

Maybe

(SELECT * FROM table WHERE id >= 70000 ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 3) UNION (SELECT * FROM table WHERE id < 7000 ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 2)

However it probably isn't very efficient

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.