[SOLVED] Dates

Jonob

Hi all,

I have an adobe flex app with a php/mysql backend, running through an amfphp service.

I am having problems where the flex client sends dates back to to php services where the client and server are in different timezones.

Some more information: flash/flex dates are the same as php Unix timestamp (i.e. strtotime), except that it has 4 additional integers (i.e. it can cater for milliseconds). So, to convert a flash time to php, all you need to do is divide by 1000.

For example, server is based in the UK, and a client is located in a timezone 9 hours ahead. When a date of 01 Aug 2009 is sent through, the server converts this into 31 July 2009. Using Charles Proxy, I can clearly see that the correct date (01 Aug 2009 is sent through), but by the time that amfphp has unserialized this, its been changed to 31 July 2009.  :facewall:

More specifically, I can see that the exact timestamp in php has been set to 31 July 2009 15:00:00 , which is exactly 9 hours before the client.

Any ideas on how to stop php or amfphp messing with the dates like this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Managed to solve this...

The problem is that flex sends through a Date object, which includes timezone, but amfphp seems to discard this, and only gives a timestamp of the equivalant server time.

I managed to solve this by sending through the clients timezone when logging in, and then offsetting any dates coming in from the client by that timezone differential.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.