A bit confused on Normal Forms

lampstax

I'm studying from the mysql test book and doing the exercises and I run into this question.  ( see attached image ).

2114gtw.jpg

The book claims that this table is in 3NF, but to me, it just seems a little off.

Here's the exact text of the answer:

- The City table is in the first normal form (1NF) because it doesn't have repeating groups within its
rows.

- It's in the second normal form (2NF) because it's in 1NF and all its non-index values depend fully on
the primary key value (the ID column).

- It's in the third normal form (3NF) because it's in 2NF and all its non-index values depend directly
on the primary key (and not on some other non-index value).

For example, since the only index is the primary key, the id number, I dont see how the value of Country Code 'AFG' depends directly on the ID, and not the Name column.

I'm new to normalization so maybe thats why this doesnt look 'normal' to me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.