Div vs Tables

heldenbrau

I am just learning CSS and have decided to do my next site with CSS.  I am testing the site first with IE and Firefox and have had to switch back to using tables instead of DIV's on one of my pages.  The reason is:  If I have a 78% Div within a Div, Firefox renders the Div as being 78% of the page, but IE renders the DIV as being 78% of the Div that it is in.  So it will either be too long in one or too short in the other.  But both render tables the same way, that's why I have switched to tables. 

Is there something I am missing with using Div and float?  If the 2 different browsers render them differently, which they have been with me, then the page ends up looking a right mess.

Another thing.  If I have divs floated to the left and a div floated to the right.  If I put text on the next line after the divs floated left, it comes out in the space between the last div and the right div in IE.  It comes out on the next line in Firefox.  So If I use <br> to get it to the next line, it makes a massive gap in firefox.  Even if I put the text into another div, it still doesn't go onto the next line in IE.

No up-to-date professionals use tables anymore. Exceptions apply of course. IMO tables should only be used when data/info needs to be presented in a table online, if you can understand what that means. If you had a clearer understanding of xhtml, tables, and divs, then the results you are trying to achieve, whether it be floating divs or stretching them based on percentage can be achieved using either. I choose not to adjust anything based on browser size because I find for the most part it's very sophomoric. I'm sure there's arguments for and against it though. My advice would be, since you just got into css, do what you feel comfortable with. Then in the future you can grasp the trends, read some tuts, and and gain further knowledge to advance your skills. GL. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.