PHP or PHP Framework?

lostprophetpunk

I have just heard about the possibilities of CodeIgniter and CakePHP.

But the one thing I was wondering, is it better to use just straight PHP or a PHP framework such as CakePHP, CodeIgniter etc.?

I am wondering this as I want to re-code my blog system which you can view here.

I want to save myself some coding, but not if it stops me from doing what I want to do and of course, and if it isn't one of those things where you yourself only write a few lines of code and setup the rest through the framework...I don't want that at all.

I am looking to enhance my PHP skills...would a framework help me do this....or should I carry on with just PHP?

I want your own opinions if possible.

If you know already php somewhat good it might be also good to learn through frameworks, they usually include much more advanced code structures. On the other hand all things in frameworks can be done manually also. I list here some reasons that I read from another finnish php forum that might be reasons why NOT to use framework:

- might not include support for utf8

- system requirements (php 5.2.x)

- support for needed database (e.g support only for mysql and postresql)

- a lot of foreign code at once from foreign source

- includes a lot of stuff that might never be used

- how does the framework meet your needs? Do you still need to code a lot of things on your own

Hi,

The people who develop php framework take care of security

so we don't have to spend more time implementing security

it is build in.

You are dreaming. Security is always up to how a program is designed by the programmer. A framework simply provides tools, they are not the be all and end all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.