forwarding to another machine .... i am at the end of the rope.

severndigital

I don't think Apache is the ideal place to do this, but I'm out of ideas so if anyone can point in the right direction it is much appreciated.

we have a single ip address coming into our building. lets say the ip is

when a request comes in on that ip for our domain on port 80, it routes to our linux machine running Apache which houses our domain :  www.mydomain.com and is at ip 172.16.2.7

what i need to do is when a request is issued for a subdomain like subdomain.mydomain.com I need to forward that request to another internal IP: 172.16.2.8

Like I said, I have a feeling Apache is NOT the place to be doing this, but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

-SD

I'm no pro at this but I do know that the company I register my domain name with.

I can setup A Records. Which is basically exactly what your talking about.

I can enter that if somone goes to www.mydomain.com it points to >this IP

And if somone enters subdomain.mydomain.com it points to >this IP

If your domain name register has a system like this it would be an easy way of getting done what you need.

~eff

My fault i misread the question.. I see now that the ips your trying to alternate are internal. I don't think A records can be used for Interal IPs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.