Counting number of users registered?!

Heckler

I am now on my 6th hour of trying to figure out how to do this.  I've searched the web for about the last hour and have tried a numerous amount of ways to try and figure out how exactly I'm suppose to get this thing to work and should also note I am still learning php/mysql.

Here is my terrible code.  I've looked at a lot of code claiming to do this, but I cannot get it to work.  I am using Xampp on a Vista machine.

<?php

$dbc = mysqli_connect('localhost', 'username', 'pass', 'league_db')

or die('error connecting to MySQL server.');

$result = mysqli_query($dbc, "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM reg_info WHERE username")

?>

Looking back at my code that i've been experimenting with it would be a disaster for me to copy/paste it right into here.  I feel that my confusion is coming from the COUNT() function and then actually getting the array that the $query pulls to be a single digit.

The whole reason for this is so I can notify users of the # of slots taken out of the # of slots available.  32 in my precise case.  I started this little adventure when I thought it would be a good addition but I had no idea it would drive me this mad. 

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.  :shrug:

Ok.

This is the error I get now:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class mysqli_result could not be converted to string in C:\Server\xampp\webdav\numregistered.php on line 14

Here is my code:

<?php

$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM reg_info";

$slotstaken = mysqli_query($dbc, $query);

echo $slotstaken; //THIS IS LINE 14

?>

It would appear my issue would be obvious, but I am unsure of how I am to convert $slotstaken into a single number which would reflect the number users I currently have.

Thanks again (ahead of time)!

OK!

I'm slowly (I think) figuring it out.

I've added the following:

<?php

//Creates connection to database

$query = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM reg_info";

$slotstaken = mysqli_query($dbc, $query);

$slots = $slotstaken->num_rows;

//echo $slotstaken; LINE 14

echo $slots;

?>

My issue now is that it is only returning "1" when I have more users registered.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.