Protecting/Restricting pages above the document root

deerly

Hi all!

I have been dabbling in some ajax/jquery and noticed that the .post/.get methods can only utilize php documents that are above the document root. This makes sense enough but I have to wonder how I can protect these files from nosy snoopers.

For some reason trying to use my admin->checkLogin() class isn't working on these pages and is disrupting how they function.

For example, I have a photo gallery administration page that only an authenticated user should be able to use.

This page has a pretty ajax way of saving the title/description/price/tags/etc for each individual image. It calls an external PHP document that does the more serious filtering and saves the information to the database.

How can I keep that PHP page from being accessed directly?

Trying to hide it behind the document root and then accessing it through ../includes/blahblah doesn't work with ajax near as I can tell.

Thanks so much!

More information:

It seems that the problem with $admin->checkLogin() is that the page, when accessed by $.post, isn't able to read the 'auth' cookie.  :shrug:

Also, using $.post I cannot check the referring page, as weak a security attempt that would be at least it would be something.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of htaccess trick that can prevent a file from being accessed directly but still allows jQuery to utilize it? Pipe dreams?

How do people secure their jQuery/ajax external pages then?  :confused: :confused:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.