[SOLVED] Edit Database entries

sticks464

I have been working on this form script which will enable a user to edit database entries and I'm not having much luck. Being new to php it is a little daunting and am surprised I have this much done. A little help would be very much appreciated. By the way this is my first post and I am extremely glad I found this forum.

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("job_listing", $con);
$sql = "SELECT * FROM jobs";
$result=mysql_query($sql);
// Count table rows
$count=mysql_num_rows($result);
?>
<table class="listing">
<form method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; ?>">
<?php
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
?>
        <tr>
          <th>Job Number:</th>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobNumber[]' value="<? echo . $row['JobNumber'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <th>Job Title:</th>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobTitle[]' value="<? echo  $row['JobTitle'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <th>Company:</th>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobCompany[]'value="<? echo . $row['JobCompany'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <th>Location:</th>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobLocation[]'value="<? echo . $row['JobLocation'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <th>Job Description:</th>
          <td><input type='textarea' name='JobDescription[]' > <? echo . $row['JobDescription'] . ; ?> </textarea>   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
<?php
}
?>
  <tr>
    <td colspan="4" align="center"><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit"></td>
  </tr>
</form>
</table>
<?php

if(isset($_POST['Submit'])){
    for($i=0;$i<$count;$i++){
    $JobTitle[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($JobTitle[$i]);
    $JobCompany[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($JobCompany[$i]);
    $JobLocation[$i]= mysql_real_escape_string($JobLocation[$i]);
    $JobDescription[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($JobDescription[$i]);
    $JobNumber[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($JobNumber[$i]);
    $sql1="UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='".$JobTitle[$i]."', JobCompany='".$JobCompany[$i]."', JobLocation='".$JobLocation[$i]."', JobDescription='".$JobDescription['$i']."' WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];
    $result1=mysql_query($sql1);
}
}
if($result1){
    echo 'all done';
}
?>

[attachment deleted by admin]

i dont think that is the problem....here is what i used....

first you have to make sure you are pulling in your rows before you even try to echo them, by creating a variable for each row, for example

$variable1 = $row['row1'];
$variable2 = $row['row2'];
$variable3 = $row['row3'];

then you would pull them into your form, based off of your id field, which im assuming you have.

<input type="text" name="variable1" value="<? echo "$variable1" ?>"/>
<input type="text" name="variable2" value="<? echo "$variable2" ?>"/>
<input type="text" name="variable3" value="<? echo "$variable3" ?>"/>

and then proceed to run the UPDATE query, make sense?

That gets all but the job description entries to show up and editing will not submit to the database.

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
// Count table rows
?>
<table class="listing">
<?php
?>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobNumber[]' size="20" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobNumber']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobTitle[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobTitle']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobCompany[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobCompany']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobLocation[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobLocation']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><textarea input type='text' name='JobDescription[]' rows="10" cols="61" value="<?php echo $row['JobDescription']; ?>" </textarea>   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
<?php
}
?>
  <tr>
    <td colspan="4" align="center"><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit"></td>
  </tr>
</form>
</table>
<?php

$sql1="UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='".$JobTitle[$i]."', JobCompany='".$JobCompany[$i]."', JobLocation='".$JobLocation[$i]."', JobDescription='".$JobDescription['$i']."' WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];
}
}
if($result1){
    echo 'all done';
}
?>

is there some sort of 'edit' button that takes you to this page?? if so , you have to pass the 'edit_id' so it knows which id and rows associated with it need to be edited....it would be something like this....

<a href='edit_entries.php?edit_id=$id'>[<strong>Edit</strong>]</a>

then, on the edit page....

$query = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM `yourdatabase` WHERE `id`='.$_GET['edit_id']);

that will get the 'edit_id' from the previous page so it knows which row you are trying to edit....

THEN....you call in the rows as i did in the last post and proceed with the UPDATE query.

I'm not sure I follow you completely. What I have is a page called admin.php. This page contains only a menu with links to a form used to submit entries into the db (with a backend page that connects to the db and actually submits the form data), a link to a form to delete entries from the db (no backend) and a link to the page I am trying to create (the code I posted less html and css).

This is not the correct way to write a TEXTAREA

<textarea input type='text' name='JobDescription[]' rows="10" cols="61" value="<?php echo $row['JobDescription']; ?>" </textarea>

I never liked that it is different, and I mess it up every time, too:

<textarea name='JobDescription[]' rows="10" cols="61"><?php echo $row['JobDescription']; ?></textarea>

It is NOT an INPUT tag (removed that stuff), it has NO value attribute, instead the "value" goes between the openning and closing tags.

So much for consistent standards.

Ok, I already figured that one out. Still won't submit changes.

<?php
// Count table rows
?>
<table class="listing">
<?php
?>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobNumber[]' size="20" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobNumber']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobTitle[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobTitle']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobCompany[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobCompany']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobLocation[]' size="100" maxlength="250" value="<?php echo $row['JobLocation']; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><textarea name='JobDescription[]' rows="10" cols="61"><?php echo $row['JobDescription']; ?> </textarea>   </td>

</tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
<?php
}
?>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</form>
</table>
<?php

$sql1="UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='".$JobTitle[$i]."', JobCompany='".$JobCompany[$i]."', JobLocation='".$JobLocation[$i]."', JobDescription='".$JobDescription[$i]."' WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];

}
}
if($result1){
    echo 'all done';
}
?>

This is the error I get

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Is this line 1 for the error

or another line 1?

And this is the code shown by phpmysqladmin

UPDATE `job_listing`.`jobs` SET `JobDescription` = 'A different test.' WHERE `jobs`.`ID` =5 LIMIT 1 ;

and that should correspond to this line

$sql1="UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='".$JobTitle[$i]."', JobCompany='".$JobCompany[$i]."', JobLocation='".$JobLocation[$i]."', JobDescription='".$JobDescription[$i]."' WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];

Which makes me believe this part of the code is incorrect

WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];

mysql_error says line 1 because it is line 1 of the sql you sent (not line 1 of the php code).  It is usually line 1.  Try echoing the sql just before you send it to the server, then look for the " (double quote) or is it '' (two single quotes) somewhere where it doesn't belong.

echo '<PRE>' . $sql1 . '</PRE>';

(I use PRE so it is easier to read in the page.)

I absolutely do not see any errors. It gives me two lines of formated code, shouldn't it only give one?

UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='', JobCompany='', JobLocation='', JobDescription='' WHERE JobNumber=

UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='', JobCompany='', JobLocation='', JobDescription='' WHERE JobNumber=

echo '<PRE>' . $sql1 . '</PRE>';

Well, you are inside a loop, so there would be one SQL statement for each pass through the loop.

The error is at the end of the statement: WHERE JobNumber=    equals what?  In fact there are no values supplied to the statement at all.  So, now I see what I missed before:

$JobTitle (and the others) have not been defined.  At least, they are not defined in the code you provided earlier.  If you are looking for the POSTed values it should be:

$JobTitle[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['JobTitle'][$i]);

Let me point out one other problem which might cause you confusion later.  You are populating the table with data from the database, and allowing the user to change it.  Then when they make changes and Submit, you are populating the table from the database, THEN updating the database with the posted changes.  The data you see on the page is the data from the database BEFORE it was updated.  So, you're going to think it did not update.

I know it feels counter-intuitive, but you probably want to put the database update code up BEFORE you select for display.  Watch out, because you will not have the $count for your loop.  For example (this is just a quick swing from your original code, but you get the idea)

<?php
// connect to database

// If user POSTed an update
  $count = count($_POST['JobNumber']);
  $done = 0;
      if ($result1) $done++;
  }
  echo $done . ' updates succeeded (out of ' . $count . ' attempted.');
}
/* NOTE: $result1 will NOT be defined if there are no updates.  
Also, $result1 will be TRUE or FALSE based on the results of the LAST call.    */
//if($result1){
//    echo 'all done';
//}

// Show the current data
// Count table rows
?>
<table class="listing">
<?php
?>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobNumber[]' value="<? echo . $row['JobNumber'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobTitle[]' value="<? echo  $row['JobTitle'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobCompany[]'value="<? echo . $row['JobCompany'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='text' name='JobLocation[]'value="<? echo . $row['JobLocation'] . ; ?> ">   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><input type='textarea' name='JobDescription[]' > <? echo . $row['JobDescription'] . ; ?> </textarea>   </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
<?php
}
?>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</form>
</table>

Well, I just whipped that out real quick, but I see a closing parenthesis out of place.  This:

echo $done . ' updates succeeded (out of ' . $count . ' attempted.');

should actually be this:

echo $done . ' updates succeeded (out of ' . $count . ' attempted.)';

Also be sure to use the $_POST on all of those lines inside the loop, I only did the first one in the sample code I sent.

Your code works with some changes to get it to display the db contents, however if one word is deleted from any of the job descriptions, ALL job descriptions are completely deleted on submission.

Changed

value="<? echo . $row['JobNumber'] . ; ?> ">

to this

value="<?php echo $row['JobNumber']; ?> ">

<?php
// connect to database

// If user POSTed an update
  $count = count($_POST['JobNumber']);
  $done = 0;
      $JobCompany[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['JobCompany'][$i]);
      $JobLocation[$i]= mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['JobLocation'][$i]);
      $JobDescription[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['JobDescription'][$i]);
      $JobNumber[$i] = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['JobNumber'][$i]);
      if ($result1) $done++;
  }
  echo $done . ' updates succeeded (out of ' . $count . ' attempted.)';
}
/* NOTE: $result1 will NOT be defined if there are no updates.  
Also, $result1 will be TRUE or FALSE based on the results of the LAST call.    */
//if($result1){
//    echo 'all done';
//}

// Show the current data
// Count table rows
?>
<table class="listing">
<?php
?>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><textarea name='JobDescription[]' rows="10" cols="61"><?php echo $row['JobDescription']; ?> </textarea>   </td>

</tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
<?php
}
?>

Hmm.  let's see what is getting posted.  Back up near the top let's add a couple of lines.  Find if(isset($_POST['Submit'])){ and add this after it:

print '<PRE>';
   print_r($_POST);
   exit();

This will display the contents of the POST array and then exit (no sense messing with the data until we figure it out).  You can leave the rest of the code as is.  Post the results so we can see what the problem is.  Make sure you xxxx-out any sensitive information (if necessary).

I made spelling corrections which are displayed in the result

Array
(
    [JobNumber] => Array
        (
            [0] => 00145 
            [1] => 00146 
        )

[JobTitle] => Array
        (
            [0] => Claims Examiner 
            [1] => Sales Producer 
        )

[JobCompany] => Array
        (
            [0] => xxx
            [1] => xxx 
        )

[JobLocation] => Array
        (
            [0] => xxx
            [1] => xxx
        )

[JobDescription] => Array
        (
            [0] => We are seeking a senior workers compensation claims examiner for an excellent insurance organization. The ideal candidate will have five (5) plus years experience handling claims. The caseload is very reasonable. We encourage qualified candidates to submit their resume to us.

[1] => A growing prominent insurance organization is seeking a commercial lines property and casualty sales producer for a niche market for a xxx xxx territory. We are looking for an aggressive and self confident individual with prior P&C sales experience and a proven track record. In return you will be offered an opportunity to make excellent compensation. Excellent benefits package.

)

[submit] => Submit
)

Looks like we got all of the data back, and in the expected elements of the array.  I don't see why it would be updating incorrectly.  It must be something small that we're just not seeing.  Take those three lines back out and maybe echo the SQL instead of sending it to the server to see what we are telling it to do.

Wait, there it is.  Something small, easy to miss:

$sql1="UPDATE jobs SET JobTitle='".$JobTitle[$i].
"', JobCompany='".$JobCompany[$i].
"', JobLocation='".$JobLocation[$i].
"', JobDescription='".$JobDescription['$i'].
"' WHERE JobNumber=".$JobNumber[$i];

Look at the subscript on JobDescription, you've put quotes around it (the $i).  I bet that is messing up the SQL statement.  (I just added the line breaks so you can see it a little easier.)  Remove those single quotes and give it a whirl.

Glad to help.  It's actually kind of fun. :D

Do you want to make each Job Entry a separate form, so clicking Submit will only send 1 job to update?

You could move the form openning and closing tags inside the loop:

<?php
?>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</form>
<?php
}
?>

I guess you could do it that way.  This might confuse the user.  You might want to add some kind of visual separator between entries to help clarify the fact that they are individual forms.  I am NOT 100% sure that all browsers will treat that (forms inside a table) correctly or that it is even "legal" by the specs.  But I have put multiple forms inside a table before, I just have not tested it in multiple browsers.

Actually I moved the table inside the loop which with the present styling give 40px of separation between tables.

Thank you once again, I have learned a lot.

<?php
?>
<table class="listing">
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
        <tr>
        </tr>
</form>
</table>
<?php
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.