Help Is CONCAT what I need?

Popgun

Hi All

Im trying to construct a recordset that combines the State col from a users table with the state col from a location table, as an alias so that I can dynamically pull the users Zip code and City from the location table for location_ID (assignment) and update in a form. I cant seem to get the CONCAT part of the SQL to work:

This works:

SELECT *

FROM USERS, LOCATION

WHERE user_ID = colname  AND USERS.`state` = LOCATION.stateabbreviation 

This does not:

SELECT *

FROM USERS, LOCATION

CONCAT(USERS.`state`, LOCATION.stateabbreviation) AS state

Neither does this:

SELECT *

FROM USERS, LOCATION

SELECT CONCAT('state', 'stateabbreviation') AS state

Getting a syntax error near CONCAT

Any help is greatly appriciated, new to MySQL

fenway,

Thanks man I had the order wrong I guess you learn something new everyday right? (hopefully!!)

Now I have to figure out how to limit the results based on the alias state to pull the zip code and cities associated with that state for population in the form O.o

I guess the simpilest explaination is I'm trying to assign a location ID from the location table to a user_ID from the user table.

I need to be able to identify the users location so I can match them to a nearby service provider.

The table structure is such:

location_ID

zip

city

stateabbreviation

latitude

longitude

USERS

user_ID

location_ID

state (1 of 15 specific states, also abbreviated, as I only have service providers in 15 states at the moment)

So I'm using CONCAT to form an alias on state, so I can pull ONLY the ZIP codes and Cities from those 15 states rather than the entire LOCATION table

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this, I made some headway last night using applying DISTINCT and a LEFT JOIN, but it needs to be refined a bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.