How to render the pages correctly at different resolutions ?

tmyonline

Hi Guys,

I have this problem all the times.  The CSS rules I specify work fine on my machine.  However, when I look at the same site on another machine, which is set at a higher resolution (everything looks bigger), then my CSS rules don't seem to work as expected.  Is there a way to render the CSS so that it works for all resolutions.  Otherwise, what would be your suggestions ?  Thanks.

a or larger screen resolution will make a site look larger or smaller

there is a way around it and that is to create a fluid layout ( that means it contracts and expands with the browser window ).. but its not something a beginner can do without loads of hassle

another option is to build your sites at a certain width, or no more than a certain width... I would say that if you built it 800px wide it would be ok.. but it would look tiny in much larger resolutions, the next is no wider than 1024px... this is a bit better for the majority of users, but anything less than that ( for example 800px ) and it can look bad

really its up to you which you use, but remember the differences - the smaller one will give a much smaller ( even tiny ) website for those that use larger screen sizes - and 1024 will not look ok in 800px width monitors

my personal choice would be no longer than 1024px.. I usually design for around 900px width.. the reason is that not many people have a screen size smaller than 1024px these days

Get a book called "bulletproof web design - SECOND EDITION" by Dan Cederholm.

It is basically all about how to overcome this problem. It cannot be explained in a forum or by any answer like - use a liquid/elastic layout (which is one of the hardest animals to create for more than a simple text based site), or modify your pixel based fixed layout.

So many factors are involved that understanding exactly how to overcome the problems is required.

Dan's book did it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I understood, but this may help:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function setWidth(number){
document.getElementById('mainDIV').style.width = screen.width - number + "px";
}
//-->
</script>
</head>
<body onload="setWidth(100)">
<div id="mainDIV">
<!-- SITE -->
<!-- SITE -->
<!-- SITE -->
<!-- SITE -->
</div>
</body>
</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.