urgent help needed for select query using phpmysql

sulkhanz

Urgent help needed. i am a newbie, and starting to have a headache with this problem,

i am using form to enter firstname so that all the details of that person can be pulled.

where am i doing it wrong?

its showing me the headings of firstname, lastname, and age but no data in it. when data is actually available in database.

databasename=testdb

table name = persons1

please check both of my files below.

1) Pullform.html

<html>

<body>

<form action="get1.php" method="post">

<strong>last:</strong>

<input type="text" name="Firstname" />

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Check employee" />

</form>

</body>

</html>

2) get1.php

<?php

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");

if (!$con)

{

die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

}

mysql_select_db("testdb", $con);

// by just adding ORDER By, i could fetch info in alphabetical order.

$sql = ("SELECT * FROM persons1 WHERE Firstname='$Firstname'");

$result = mysql_query($sql);

echo "<table border='1'>

<tr>

<th>Firstname</th>

<th>Lastname</th>

<th>Age</th>

</tr>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))

{

echo "<tr>";

echo "<td>" . $row['Firstname'] . "</td>";

echo "<td>" . $row['Lastname'] . "</td>";

echo "<td>" . $row['Age'] . "</td>";

echo "</tr>";

}

echo "</table>";

mysql_close($con);

?>

You're submitting the form using the post method, so the data passed through to get1.php is in the $_POST array.

The content of your <input type="text" name="Firstname" /> isn't in $Firstname (unless you have register globals on, which isn't advised because it's insecure), it's in $_POST['Firstname'].

You should also be escaping data passed through from a form before using it in a SQL query. Not only does this handle certain characters such as quotation marks in the input field, but also helps prevent SQL injection, so it's a good habit to get into.

You're submitting the form using the post method, so the data passed through to get1.php is in the $_POST array.

The content of your <input type="text" name="Firstname" /> isn't in $Firstname (unless you have register globals on, which isn't advised because it's insecure), it's in $_POST['Firstname'].

You should also be escaping data passed through from a form before using it in a SQL query. Not only does this handle certain characters such as quotation marks in the input field, but also helps prevent SQL injection, so it's a good habit to get into.

Thanks, so, should i replace $Firstname with $_POST['Firstname'] ? in my get1.php?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.