[SOLVED] syntax on multiple join problem?

defeated

Hi,

Tables and col names as follows

Main

id, name,  sub1_id, sub2_id, sub3_id

sub1

id, english

sub2

id, english

sub3

id, english

id's are all numbers.  Sub tables contain the english "translation" of the numbers.

If I want to get the english for all entries in a row on the main table....

$query=mysql_query("SELECT name, sub1.english, sub2.english, sub3.english FROM main
LEFT JOIN (sub1, sub2, sub3)
ON (main.sub1_id=sub1.id AND main.sub2_id=sub2.id AND main.sub3_id=sub3.id)
WHERE main.id='$selected_row'") or die(mysql_error());
$row=mysql_fetch_array($query);
$main_name=$row['name'];
$sub1_english=$row['sub1.english'];
$sub2_english=$row['sub2.english'];
$sub3_english=$row['sub3.english'];

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

hmmm.  I thought I was normalising it!  :-\

The idea is that the 'english' is repeated many times in the table, so I replaced the english with an id number and add a translation table (id =>english). This significantly reduces the amount of data held in the db.

For example... the column may be job catagories.  The english may be one of a list (Medical and Healthcare jobs, Financial Jobs, Scientific and Technical Jobs.)

I replace them with an id number... eg 1,2,3. That reduces the number of chars needed from up to 50 varchars down to 2 ints.  I then have a table that goes

id    English

1    Medical and Healthcare Jobs

2    Financial Jobs

3    Scientific and Technical Jobs

Each job (eg one row in the main table) will have several of these tables for information that comes from a list.. eg. job type, job name,  job locations, salaries, experience levels, questions to ask applicant.

I am assuming that by normalisation you are talking about many to many relationships?  Because there are so many tables involved I can't get my head around that many tables.  I have done a many to many relationship for job tags (bit like the wordpress tags).  That was a b***h because I had to have the tags expire when the job did (but not delete until the job was actually deleted).  Kickstart set me straight on that one.

I just want a row per job that holds all the information, but in a simplified format (eg ints instead of varchars) where possible.  But when I recall the information I have to get the full varchar info from the separate pages.

I'm very lost on the multiple joins necessary.  Any enlightenment gratefully received!

Well just because you've made it harder doesn't mean you've normalized it :)

So I'm going to guess these are job interests a person may have. So what do you do when someone comes along with 4 job interests? or 5 or 6? Do you keep adding tables?

Instead do something like this:

CREATE TABLE person (
  person_id  INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  first_name VARCHAR(30),
  last_name VARCHAR(30),
);

CREATE TABLE job_interests(
  interest_id INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  job_description VARCHAR(80) NOT NULL
);

CREATE TABLE person_job_interests (
  person_id  INT NOT NULL,
  interest_id INT NOT NULL,
  preference_no INT2,
  CONSTRAINT person_job_interests_pk PRIMARY KEY (person_id, interest_id)
);

Also "english" appears to be a poor choice for a column name here. Use something like 'job_category', 'label' or 'description'.

Sorry Artacus, I haven't explained it well.

It is a job board.

When inserting a job there is a form.  The form has several multiple selects or single selects from a select menu.  All the data then goes into the db.

examples. 

<select name='job_type' value='1'>Medical and Healthcare jobs</select> etc.

Then based on that selection the next select box changes its content to reflect jobs in that category.

Then there will be a list of salaries, a list of minimum experience, a list of locations.  It  is not possible to select something that is not in the list.

I had it so that the value in the select was the same as the text so I ended up with..

id    jobref  jobtitle      job_type                              job_role            min_exp    location

1    0908    Welder      Medical and Healthcare Jobs  medical welder    2-3 years  North London

Because that is only some of the fields the database was getting too large.  So I did this....

id    jobref  jobtitle    job_type                                job_role            min_exp    location

1    0908    Welder      1                                          56                    3              18

But then when I want to display a job I need to translate it back into the plain english.

Thus I need to do multiple joins to tables that contain the id's and the plain english.

Perhaps I am going about it arse-ways?  The trouble is that while there are only 1000 or so jobs the original version was ok, but if I get thousands of jobs I am using up more space than I need to.

I hope it is a bit clearer now.

'english' was just for my example.  The real fields do not make sense easily.

Hi

Makes more sense with the added detail.

Basic syntax would be like this.

$query=mysql_query("SELECT name, sub1.english, sub2.english, sub3.english FROM main

LEFT JOIN sub1 ON main.sub1_id=sub1.id

LEFT JOIN sub2 ON main.sub2_id=sub2.id

LEFT JOIN sub3 ON main.sub3_id=sub3.id

WHERE main.id='$selected_row'") or die(mysql_error());

However you would probably want a column for job type within the job role table (ie, the id of the job type), probably removing job type from the main table

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.