Parsing out the "Meaningful" Part of a Page

sug15

Here's an interesting question. Let's say I want to have a bot go to a page like http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/php-add-text-to-image and find the only "meaningful" part of a page. For example, it would be a bot-like program and parse out raw text like this:

One of the standard features of a message board is allowing members to have a signature, which is appended to the bottom of each post they make. Posters can put whatever they want into the signature (within forum settings). Putting quotes in one's signature is one of the more popular things to do

...etc..etc...

On the other hand, there is a lot to explore and discuss about the specifics of captcha, so who knows, maybe I will. Until then,

Happy Coding!

Crayon Violent

So something like that, without finding the location of an RSS feed on the page or similar. Anyone have an idea how to do it? I'm not really looking for a full solution just ideas. My idea right now is that you would have to look for blocks of text where there are small amounts of HTML tags, and/or find what would appear to be the "main part" of a page by somehow analyzing the CSS. Any suggestions? Sorry, I know this may be a confusing question.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.