Array in a query?

tekrscom

MySQL - 5.0.81

PHP - 5.2.5

Hi everybody, I'm really stumped on this one...

I have a table for members, a table for interestTypes, and a table for memberInterests which consists of 2 columns, the memberID and the interestTypeID

So my dilemma is when a person selects a set of interests that other users have, how do you query that? Because each entry in the table is a new row, it seems that I'd have to somehow put the query in a loop from the passed array of interests and put the results in an array? So very confusing... Here's what I have...

$ParametersQuery = "";
foreach ($_SESSION[searchParameter]['InterestID'] as $key => $value) {
$ParametersQuery = $ParametersQuery."MemberInterests.InterestID = '$value' AND ";
}
$ParametersQuery = (($ParametersQuery == '') ? '' : '('.substr_replace($ParametersQuery," ",-5).')');

$TempPrivacySetting = $_SESSION[searchParameter]['PrivacySetting'];
$TempGender = $_SESSION[searchParameter]['Gender'];

if ($TempPrivacySetting == 'PublicProfiles'){$TempPrivacySetting=" AND Members.ProfilePrivate = '1'";}else{$TempPrivacySetting="";}

if ($TempGender != 'Either'){
$query = "SELECT Members.* FROM MemberInterests RIGHT JOIN Members ON MemberInterests.MemberID = Members.MemberID WHERE " . 
"Members.Gender = '$TempGender' $TempPrivacySetting AND $ParametersQuery ORDER BY LogOnDate DESC";
}
if ($TempGender == 'Either'){
$query = "SELECT Members.* FROM MemberInterests RIGHT JOIN Members ON MemberInterests.MemberID = Members.MemberID WHERE " .
"Members.Gender != 'Blank' $TempPrivacySetting AND $ParametersQuery ORDER BY LogOnDate DESC";
}
$results = mysql_query($query);
if (!$results) {
    echo '<p>Sorry, there were no results that match your criteria.</p>';
}
else {
    while ($row  =  mysql_fetch_array($results))    {

So if the searching user selects say, Gender=Female and ProfilePrivate=1 and then selects say, 4 different interest types, here's what the query ends up looking like...

SELECT Members.*, MemberInterests.* FROM MemberInterests RIGHT JOIN Members ON MemberInterests.MemberID = Members.MemberID WHERE Members.Gender = 'Female' AND Members.ProfilePrivate = '1' AND (MemberInterests.InterestID = '13' AND MemberInterests.InterestID = '15' AND MemberInterests.InterestID = '23' AND MemberInterests.InterestID = '24' ) ORDER BY LogOnDate DESC

If only 1 interest is selected, the query works... so what I was thinking is that because the query only runs once, it can't search the interests table for each selected matching interest...

You should examine the difference between AND and OR. Probably the easiest answer would be to convert your PHP array to a string that you can use with IN ()

$sql = 'SELECT *
FROM memberInterests mi
WHERE mi.interestID IN (' . implode(',', $_SESSION[searchParameter]['InterestID']) . ')'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.