getting data from database problem

Porkie

i have a database called genres, with and id field and a genre field in.

My problem is on a different page i want to to show the data ive added in my genres database.

is this the right code iam using or not because currently nothing is loaded =(

<?php

$sql1 =  mysql_query("SELECT * FROM genres") or die(mysql_error());

echo mysql_num_rows($sql1);   

while($sql2 = mysql_fetch_array($sql1)) {

echo "<option value='{$sql2['ID']}'>{$sql2['genre']}</option>";

}

?>

</select></td></tr>

cheers

cheers all its fixed :D

now just a little bit more help please

if i only want to show a page to users which had administrator status, where would i add the code? and what would it be? i would then need to echo the stuff for an admin and echo the error message if you dont have the admin status set.

The most effective and accurate way of doing something like that is to first check to see if they're an admin/moderator/super user/etc/etc/ and THEN ... use include or require

to pull in the restricted page.

Most people will first start off checking the status and then echoing it out if they are admin...echoing the error if they aren't, echoing a different page if they're someone else..etc..etc

you get my drift

you'll need to make a templating system if you want to do it the "correct" way.  If you're just trying to throw a school project together then by all means...echo one thing after another.  Either way, starting from scratch you're going to have a rough road ahead of you authenticating users and doing stuff about it...like everyone else.

But that's a different story and a different thread...as you said this thread is solved...so click solved and read up on some php authentication tutorials.  There are a few on the main phpfreaks site itself..written by the same people on the forums

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.