Which linux certification should I go for depending on my knowledge level?

coolguythampy

Hello,

Can anybody help me out with a Linux certification? I am very much interested in Linux and would like to pursue a career in Linux and networking. I am confused as to which course to take?

I have 0 knowledge in Linux as of now and have been working with windows for the past 7 years. I am now in the final year of my engineering (Computer science) and I would like to know which would be better for me.

1. Install Linux and self learn with the help of a book. After a year or so after my course completes go for a certification.

2. Go go for red hat certification (RHCT)

3. Go for Linux+ certification.

Any suggestions?

Maybe you could check a couple of vacancies that you would like and which you concider to be Linux related. Then you could ask the corresponding companies of these vacancies what they would like to see or would demand as requirment for certification.

Besides that you can simply get a Linux distro and install it on your pc and play around with it. See how far you can go by doing some trial and error. I myself learned a lot from various linux community sites.

I have about 6 years experience using Linux (started with redhat then gentoo and now debian). I've twice read Novells Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ but have never sat the exam.

The thing that bothers me mostly about the books (and therefore I assume allot of the exams) is that they usually concentrate to much on a particular distro instead of getting down to the fundamentals (which is essentially the same or very similar in all distros). On the other hand, this could (and is) considered a good thing by those looking for admins specializing in a certain distro. In the real world (as far as Ive seen) there are only a few distros at play, Redhat/CentOs/Fedora and Novell's SUSE. Most other distros don't really come into the equation though I would still highly recommend investigating Debian/Ubuntu.

For someone with zero experience I would highly recommend installing a distro and tinkering for at least a year or so before attempting any exam. if you really want to learn quickly try installing Gentoo from a stage 1.

Theres a good free book in my signature (rute) that covers allot of ground and is pretty generalized, but yeah, your not going to be ready for any exam (worth anything) anytime soon.

Other books I own and have read include:

• Linux pocket guide - O'reilly
  • The Debian system - No starch
  • Linux Firewalls - Novell
  • RedHat Complete Reference
  • A Practical Guide to RedHat - Prentice Hall
  • Learning the Bash Shell - O'Reilly
  • Bash Cookbook - O'Reilly

Even with all these under my belt I'm not sure I'm confident enough to sit any exams. I am pretty lazy though :)

So i should go ahead with installing a linux distro and then work with it for a year? Sounds good to me. I tried looking at Gentoo. I got confused. where do we actually download gentoo?

Gentoo is built from source so you don't simply download it like most distros. Start with the handbook. The only reason I pointed gentoo out however is because it will be tough to get up and running, you'll learn allot, but it won't be up and running in 10 minutes like most distros. The first time I installed Gentoo I think it took me about 3 days to get it to boot. I can get it setup in under an hour now days though.

So i should go ahead with installing a linux distro and then work with it for a year? Sounds good to me. I tried looking at Gentoo. I got confused. where do we actually download gentoo?

Gentoo is built from source so you don't simply download it like most distros. Start with the handbook. The only reason I pointed gentoo out however is because it will be tough to get up and running, you'll learn allot, but it won't be up and running in 10 minutes like most distros. The first time I installed Gentoo I think it took me about 3 days to get it to boot. I can get it setup in under an hour now days though.

Thanks a lot!!! I am going to go through the guide. Let me see if I can set it up. BTW do all applications that run on linux based OS run properly on gentoo? Would I need to download additional applications or does it come with the distro? (Applications like word processing etc)

If you never had a look at Linux, I'd go for Ubuntu.

It's rather easy to install, there is a great community that will answer your questions AND it is based on DEBIAN...

Not quite sure why thorpe did not list in the distros at play... Debian definitely should be mentioned there...

www.ubuntu.com

If you never had a look at Linux, I'd go for Ubuntu.

It's rather easy to install, there is a great community that will answer your questions AND it is based on DEBIAN...

Not quite sure why thorpe did not list in the distros at play... Debian definitely should be mentioned there...

www.ubuntu.com

I got ubuntu installed two days ago> it was very easy to get started. Kinda like windows with easy to use DUI. I guess he did not mention Ubuntu because I really wanted to LEARN LINUX and not USE LINUX

That would imply that Ubuntu is not real Linux... and I can not agree with that.

It's not because Gentoo is hard to install that makes Gentoo a better distro... I'd say the opposite actually.

I wasn't saying Gentoo/Debian... whatever where better distro's. The OP wants to learn Linux, its my opinion that a distro that doesn't hold your hand will teach you more.

As for this....

While Debian would probably be the next on the list I posted above its still not what is generally used in enterprise (from what Ive seen). Most companies are using one variant or another from the list I posted above. If I had things my way we'd all be using Debian but thats just me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.