Creating this website.

Mackey18

Hi guys, I have posted numerous times here before, asking about creating a retail website using PHP.

My I.T. teacher told me it was possible using ASP. He told me i should download a web server, .NetFramework, SQL server Express 2008 and SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition 2005.

I have downloaded all of these and now I would like to know, what next? Do I create a Database first?

Thanks

Ok, it gets easier. To use PHP, you just need one program

http://www.easyphp.org/

That's a Webserver, PHP Parser and SQL Server all in one. Just install that, and place your .php files in the www folder (which will be under Easyphp in your Programfiles) and your ready to roll

Here's a good place to start learning PHP

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/DEfaULT.asP

Its understood man

Create or plan DBASE SCHEMA

AND START WORKING ON it

by making BACKend AND FRONT END.

or if you are new in .NET WOrld THEN TRY TO LEARN

basic tUTORILAS of .net AND SQL SErver AND

get familiar with the GUI OF VStudio.

n then start working on it.

Are you required to use all that software? My school uses a lot of .net software too but I try to

avoid it.

I'd do pretty much what Hamza said. Plan your db with each entity you'll need. Then plan what attributes about the entities are relevant to include in your database. Then plan the relationships between them all and remove any repeating data if there is any.

Then I'd make a mock front end in paint or Photoshop. Something to let you visualize what it's going to look like. Then code it to look like that. Once you have all the pages coded you

can work on your script to create the database and your handler scripts that access it. Then it's lots of testing and rewriting scripts until you've covered every possible error.

As far as the .net software though, I couldn't help you much with that. 

Software issues aside, when dealing with database design, be sure to educate yourself on stuff like the E-R model and normalization (which is what hopelessX was getting at)... All too often, people just dive in creating tables willy-nilly (thinking, 'Hey, this stuff is actually easy! Pfft..'), all the while making serious design mistakes (even violating the 1st normal form in some cases, let alone creating issues leading to data redundancy, insertion and deletion anomalies, etc..). Proper database design is crucial to avoid problems down the road.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.