Portfolio Question

Brian W

I suppose this largely depends on your employer's policy regarding this issue. When I was working in game development at a certain company, all USB ports were locked out (could not plug in an external usb storage device) nor were we allowed to send images or certain file formats in emails. This was all to prevent potential leaks (I can't fault the company, as this is understandable given the problem of leaks in the past).. as a result, I was not able to include any of the stuff I produced into my portfolio from my tenure there.

In your case, is it because you are looking for a new job? If so, then perhaps it is wise to only include stuff you did for yourself in your spare time? I'm not sure what your company's reaction would be if they came across your site and saw current stuff you did for them... Perhaps there is some NDA (Non disclosure agreement) in place? If so, then definitely don't do it.

To be safe, perhaps just include stuff you did on the side for now.. maybe when you leave the company (on good terms), perhaps asking if you could include stuff you did while there for your portfolio?

How will the company ever no, who you tell anyway...

not unless your detail are on the internet like a personal web site...

i am very sure anybody can show a web site via a link and tell others you contributed to design it...

that not illegal i hope? (( thort that was freedom of speech.

It's not that great of an idea to show off to a prospective employer/client that you'll disregard confidentiality agreements if you think you can get away with it.

I was going to say the same thing.

If you got written permission from your employer to discuss projects you've worked on it would show the new company you follow NDA and also verify the projects. I'd definitely ask the employer's permission and try to get something in writing if possible. It may not be depending on the situation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.