PHP active page

jduffell

Hi, i've been using a little php in my navigation for some time, and it basically allows me to enfore the active class when the releavent page is selected. However i've recently changed my pages from portfolio.php to /portfolio/  so i've simply placed it in a seperate folder to make the url look nicer, however this cause the script to break.

This is the method i'm using

http://www.sebastiansulinski.co.uk/tutorials/show_item/56/active_button_with_php_and_css

any help welcome

thanks

$_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] includes path information, try:

echo "<pre>";

print_r($_SERVER);

echo "</pre>";

to see what I mean.  If you compare script name, with path, then the match will never occur.  I use something like this to get what you are looking for often:

// get the requested URL
$requested_url = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
// remove anything before the current folder from the requested url
$sub_folders = str_replace($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], "", getcwd());
// now remove the sub folders from the requested url
$requested_url = str_replace($sub_folders, "", $requested_url);

You may need to trim slashes or perform other post-processing.

Beware though, __FILES__ will show the filename of the current script, including required or included ones!

Certainly worth bearing in mind, but in my opinion the fact that makes it so darn usefull. The amount of trouble I had keeping my file structure accurate with nestled folders and includes before I spotted somewhere the use of __FILE__ ... anyway I digress.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.