[SOLVED] Strip returns from the end of a string.

heldenbrau

I have a forum and I display peoples posts by using

nl2br(stripslashes($case))

But if somebody presses return, say, 10 times at the end of the sentance.  Those returns are displayed.  I'm not sure what is going on, but I think if you delete a paragraph from the end of the post, it still posts the same amount of lines as <br/>.  Whatever is happening a few posts are coming up with extra <br/>s at the end.

I know that rtrim removes the whitespace and carriage returns, but it won't remove these <br/>s when displayed with nl2br.  How do I strip the <br/s> from the end?

I am trying using this

echo rtrim(nl2br(stripslashes($case)),"<br />");

But it isn't working, I tried it this way too

echo nl2br(stripslashes(rtrim($case, "<br />)));;

Neither of those 2 will get ride of the <br />s at the end.  I can't strip html tags because I want to keep the returns that are in the middle of sentences.

When I look at the database in php admin, the post is stored in the database with returns just showing as blank space returns.

I'm begining to think people don't actually read my posts. You say you've tried two lines of code, but not once did you try the code I actually suggested.

I'll say it one more time. The objective of nl2br is to convert the \n characters in your string to <br />. What you want to do is remove the \n's from the end of your text before converting the remainding \n's to <br /> in order to get them to display correctly in HTML.

<?php 
nl2br(stripslashes(rtrim($case))) 
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.