echo '<a href="', $post['href'], '">', $post['subject'], '</a>';
  echo '</li>';
}
?>

I want to make

<a href="', $post['href'], '">

<strong> and

$post['subject']

<em> however i get errors whenever i add the tags around them.

Actually not wishing to confuse the OP, but...

echo '<a href="', $post['href'], '">', $post['subject'], '</a>';

...is a perfectly valid way of outputing data. Some argue it's actually better than....

echo '<a href="' . $post['href'] . '">' . $post['subject'] . '</a>';

It is not concatinating the strings together, it is using echo's ability to accept multiple parameters to output the data.

As to tarleton, what error are you getting?

Thanks for ur help guys, Mikes thing didn't work kinda screwed up the display of everything. This is what i've tried

echo '<strong><a href="', $post['href'], '</strong>">', <em>$post['subject'], '</a></em>';

Get this error

Parse error: parse error in C:\xampp\htdocs\game\manager\includes\document.parser.class.inc.php(770) : eval()'d code on line 9

Try this...

echo '<strong><a href="', $post['href'], '</strong>">', '<em>', $post['subject'], '</a></em>';

Your open <em> tag was not in speach marks to signify it as a string, it was also not concatenated with the . or seperated with a comma.

Oh my bad, learn something new every day i suppose. I thought only python did that. thats pretty cool

echo '<strong><a href="', $post['href'], '"</strong>>', '<em>'.$post['subject'], '</a></em>';

you can do that, but that doesn't really make much sense, and isn't remotely close to valid XHTML

it would basically look like

<strong><a href="somevalue"</strong>><em>somevalue</a></em>

you cant have other tags inside some tags. you close tags out of order, and it seems that you are trying to bold the first part of the <a> tag. I'm not sure why you are doing that, but even if that was valid, it wouldn't do anything. What exactly are you trying to get the output to look like?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.