isolating msie ver.

Dorky

i have been trying so herd to figure out how to find, isolate, and $var the msie ver from user agent, i have lloked over strstr, strpos, in_array, and so many others. all i want is to put the msie versions into an array and compare that to the user agent string. it sounds so simple yet i cannot find it. but i did find a few forums they let you sign up before telling you they think im going to pay them for their forum lol.

so you want to be able to get the msie version number and put it into a variable

if so i think that this may help you... i haven't tried it but i think it would work

i got this from: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.get-browser.php

$browser = get_browser(null, true);
echo $browser['version'];

may need some changes but i hope i pointed you in the right direction

yes that would be just what the doctor ordered but my host wont install any libs outside what they already have and i dont have enough clients to support the cost of a dedicated or vpn. so i need to do this with standard php5.

so you want to be able to get the msie version number and put it into a variable

if so i think that this may help you... i haven't tried it but i think it would work

i got this from: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.get-browser.php

$browser = get_browser(null, true);
echo $browser['version'];

may need some changes but i hope i pointed you in the right direction

Try something like

<?php
if (preg_match('~MSIE ([^;]+);~', $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], $match)) {
echo 'Internet Explorer version: ' . htmlentities($match[1]);
} else {
echo 'Browser isn\'t Internet Explorer';
}
?>

I'm using htmlentities() because the user agent string can be spoofed by the user, potentially containing malicious code to be executed.

i have looked but i would rather find the command for finding a string(by array) within a string(string). im sure there is a command for this without using 200 lines of code to circumvent knowing the proper command to do so. this is a useful way of comparing for future applications outside of my current project.

just trying to learn :) thx

Try having a look at the notes on the get_browser() page.

There are some examples of functions that use Regex to find the browser name and version number, they might be worth a try...

WOW. ok can you break down this part for me so i understand what this means

'~MSIE ([^;]+);~'

Try something like

<?php
if (preg_match('~MSIE ([^;]+);~', $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], $match)) {
echo 'Internet Explorer version: ' . htmlentities($match[1]);
} else {
echo 'Browser isn\'t Internet Explorer';
}
?>

I'm using htmlentities() because the user agent string can be spoofed by the user, potentially containing malicious code to be executed.

allow me to expand on this project. i am using a lot of css2 and some css3. to keep my site from being viewed improperly i am filtering pre-mozilla5 browsers but need to allow for ie8 but it uses mozilla4 so its been hard for me to find a way to make an exception for ie8. this is what i have so far. feel free to edit or comment on this

$browserfind = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ;

$firstoc = strpos($browserfind, '.');
$browser = substr($browserfind, 0, $firstoc );
$listbrowsers = array("Mozilla/4" , "Mozilla/5" , "Opera/9" , "Yandex/1" , "facebookexternalhit/1");
$redirect="http://studio378d.com?sorry&btype=$browser";

if (!in_array( "$browser" , $listbrowsers , true)) 
{
header("Location: $redirect"); 
exit;
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.