[SOLVED] get all code after php tag

newbtophp

personally I would do it like this:

preg_match("~?>(.*)~s", $input, $out);
echo $out[1];

- I would remove the "return;" to make it more generic. 

- I'd also use * instead of + as the quantifier in the event that there isn't anything after "?>".

- I would also remove the ? to make it greedy; since you're aiming to match everything after, it would be more efficient to make the quantifier greedy. 

- I would remove the $ and use s modifier instead.  The dot by default matches up to the end of line, so $ is not necessary.  But the context of his subject implies he's looking for more than a 1-line match, so I added the 's' modifier in there to make the dot also match newline chars

I knew somebody would come up with a better version, i just like testing out my knowledge then comparing what somebody more versed comes up with. :)

The code which you and CW provided is very useful. (not just in this case). In future cases i can refer and remember how you did it and learn. I started off not knowing anything about php until i joined these forums (view my post history). Ever since my code has become more tidyer with the thanks of the PHPfreaks members.  :D

personally I would do it like this:

preg_match("~?>(.*)~s", $input, $out);
echo $out[1];

I think that the forum either ate a blackslash or you missed it out accidentally. For the sake of people visiting this thread to copy/paste, your regex will cause an error ("nothing to repeat at offset 0") since the question mark is still trying to behave as a quantifier even though there is nothing before it.

Personally, I would do it ever-so-slightly differently with either:

preg_match("/\?>\K.*/s", $input, $match);
echo $match[0];

or

preg_match("/(?<=\?>).*/s", $input, $match);
echo $match[0];

Because:

• [o]The regex engine won't need to remember the entire match and a capturing group containing the same value.
    [o]You get regex-fu credits if you use
\K and/or a lookbehind assertion. (Bonus power-up for the \K)
[o]Neither cause a (regex) compilation failure.
[o]It's always nice to see alternative approaches to the same situation.

Hmm.. I wonder if this is the infamous posting system rearing its ugly head (again) by devouring backslashes and the like.. I find that if you go straight to posting your post (without previewing), you're good to go.. but if you preview (when posting in Chrome / FF) kiss stuff like \ goodbye!

I still don't understand what it is that is wrecking posts like that.. I have none of those issues in other website forums.. only this one.. forces my hand to use Opera instead for posts here.. Grrrrr...  :facewall:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.