I think i'm using the syntax incorrectly

horizontal

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and a newbie with PHP - I'm glad I found this site - I hope to learn a lot!  For my first and hopefully one of few questions, lol..

I told my boss i'd help him out with making a script to sort a txt file he has with 92 pages of e-mail addresses into something organized.  Before i work out how to check for duplicates, so on and so forth - I'm trying to do the basics.  I realise this is wrong

<?php
$emails=fopen('test.txt','r');
$newlist=fopen('test2.txt','a');
while(! feof($emails))
{
        $newline=fgets($emails);

$newchar=fgetc($newline);

if ($newchar==" ")
                fseek($newlist,0,seek_end);
        else

{
                $addy = fnmatch ("*@*.*",$newline);

fwrite($newlist,$addy);
                }
}
?>

I'm just trying to get the script to store a line in the variable and then go by character until it hits a space and move down to the next line to write the next e-mail it finds - I think the sequence im searching for is also a bit off.  I understand I will need a loop of some sort so all the char's in the $newline character are viewed, can someone please help me out - I feel i'm so close to doing this!

if i wanted to get an array of the different emails (assuming that every single email was seperated by a comma) I would do this

$content = file_get_contents('email.txt');
$emails = array();
$emails = explode(',', $content);

array_map("trim", $emails);//this just removes trailing or leading whitespace from all the entries

Well let's take mikesta707's code and just add a bit:

$content = file_get_contents('email.txt');
$emails = array();
$emails = explode(',', $content);
$emails = preg_replace('/]*>/', '', $emails);  // strip out all the  from the addresses
array_map("trim", $emails);//this just removes trailing or leading whitespace from all the entries

// Didn't you mention a sort?

sort($emails);

foreach ($emails as $value) {
   // write out to your new file
}

[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.