Flash drive-based OS

proggR

I don't really know how to explain what I'm thinking but I'll try.

I just bought a 16 GB flash drive because my netbook only has a 16GB SSD and after the OS is installed (XP) it doesn't leave a lot of room for programs I'd like to have on it for school (I don't need them on it, its mainly for notes, but it is nice to be able to code during class). I'm installing the programs and IDEs etc onto the flash drive so I can use them from the netbook as well as running them on the lab computers so I can use the same programs all the time (I use Dev C++ whereas the school uses Borland).

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a desktop environment or window manager that can be loaded from the flash drive to create the same environment everywhere I go. I don't know if that makes sense. It can't just be an OS unless I virtualize it because I'd like it to run at the school, and I'd also like it to be able to access files on the schools network drive and see the computer's C: drive in its file manager.

I don't know if I'm making any sense to anyone else. My apologies if I'm not.

If anyone understands what I'm babbling about and can recommend any software I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pee ess, I know about and use Portable Apps. That's kind of the idea I'm looking for but different.

I doubt you'd have any luck simply starting a windows manager over the top of (or from within) windows. You could however install a minimal Linux to run off the flash drive providing the systems in question can boot from usb.

If its virtualized from the flashdrive, can I still have it mount network drives? Also, since a lot of the programs I use are Windows programs it may not work. I'd really like to though. I found U3 and it looked ok but I may just try customizing Portable Apps better and organizing the flash drive more like a computer would be. I'm not sure. I was just hoping a windows manager could be started like a program and used to navigate the computer/flash drive. Similar to how adobe bridge is essentially a windows explorer replacement.

If its virtualized from the flashdrive, can I still have it mount network drives?

I never mentioned any virtualization.

I was just hoping a windows manager could be started like a program and used to navigate the computer/flash drive.

Assuming you mean a window manager like those that run under X on Linux? I'm not sure windows would provide anything like that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.