Some info from a developers point of view

mikejs

Hi I am entering my final year of my degree and would like to develop part of a Job Tracker system, with some of the functions found in willow job tracker. I have to do some research around alternative applications and different programming languages that could be used, I appreciate this is a php forum I just wanted some ideas feedback from a developers point of view.

why use php over another language?

are there any limitations using php?

thanks

M

Pros of PHP (in my eyes):

-Free (Perl/Python/JSP are also free, and ASP/ASP.NET sort of are....)

-Cross platform (as are Perl/Python/JSP and ASP/ASP.NET to some extent)

-It's the language I know best

Limitations?  Any limitation in PHP could be overcame if the functionality were added to the PHP code.  As for that happening, yes, there are certain things that PHP will never be able to do.

Example: One of my pet peeves about PHP and what makes me use Java or C++ sometimes is the lack of threading.  In a web environment threading is pretty useless 99% of the time though when it comes to the end language.  I doubt threading will ever be added to PHP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.