fopen(___.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied. help!

physaux

My error:

Warning: fopen(NameFile_dogs.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Users../Sites/nametest/index.php on line 43
can't open file

Here is the relevant code:

<?php
//...
$DirectionsFile = "NameFile_".$species.".txt";
$fh = fopen($DirectionsFile, 'w') or die("can't open file");  // THIS IS LINE 43
//...
fwrite($fh, "Scrubs\n");
fwrite($fh, "Snoopy\n");
//...
if(isset($fh)){
fclose($fh);
}
?>

Anyone know how to fix this? I have no clue how to set/vary php/other permissions for my files. Also it is the first time i tried this code, so i know the filename does not exist yet.

Other than that, i'm lost! Any1 have a clue??

are you on a host or your own server?

My error:

Warning: fopen(NameFile_dogs.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Users../Sites/nametest/index.php on line 43
can't open file

Here is the relevant code:

<?php
//...
$DirectionsFile = "NameFile_".$species.".txt";
$fh = fopen($DirectionsFile, 'w') or die("can't open file");  // THIS IS LINE 43
//...
fwrite($fh, "Scrubs\n");
fwrite($fh, "Snoopy\n");
//...
if(isset($fh)){
fclose($fh);
}
?>

Anyone know how to fix this? I have no clue how to set/vary php/other permissions for my files. Also it is the first time i tried this code, so i know the filename does not exist yet.

Other than that, i'm lost! Any1 have a clue??

I'm assuming you are running windows. Windows does not use file permissions. If you are getting a file permission error, it is possible that the directory does not exist and you need to create it.

if (!is_dir($dir)) { // create the directory first }

Also, if you didn't install php / apache as administrator that could cause issues

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.