[SOLVED] help with removing data from table

CyberShot

I have a form that I can type in a name and it displays the name in a list. Below that I have a drop down list that is populated with the same names. What I need is that when you select a name in the drop down list and press the button, it will remove the name from the list. As is right now, I don't get any errrors, but when the page refreshes, the name is still there. Here is what I tried

if(isset($_POST['go']))
{
$remove = $_POST['drop_name'];
$sqlRemove ="DELETE FROM mytable(names) VALUES('$remove')";
}

and the drop down list

<form method="post">
<select name="drop_name">
<?php foreach ($name as $n): ?>
<option><?php echo $n ?></option>
<?php endforeach; ?>
</select>
<input type="submit" name="go" value="remove name"  />
</form>

my database name is data, table name is mytable and there is two fields.. id, names

This is the DELETE query syntax prototype -

DELETE [LOW_PRIORITY] [QUICK] [iGNORE] FROM tbl_name

[WHERE where_condition]

[ORDER BY ...]

[LIMIT row_count]

As it applies to what you are doing (removing the unused elements) -

DELETE FROM tbl_name

WHERE where_condition

@PFMaBiSmAd 

I know answers can be found by reading documentation. I also know that you can write a book on how to read the documentation. I also know that if everyone went to the documentation, there would be no need for this forum. I was going through the documentation. Notice that I did't ask you how to do it, I asked help with code I have been trying

@lemmin

I tried the code you posted two seconds before receiving your reply, I get the same problem, the page blinks and nothing is removed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.