Do You Position Elements with the Position Property or with Margin and Padding?

Fluoresce

OK well i just learnt, Never use padding and or margins to form your site layout because it is really buggy in IE, to get around this you can use a container element to store all your other elements in, just set a fixed width and height for the container element and the rest of the elements should be fine going off margins and padding.

Keeping in mind I'm still in the early stages of learning this css stuff:)

To be safe you can avoid using padding on containing elements and set margins on the child elements.  For example if you have a sidebar set to 200px wide, you probably don't want to set your padding on the sidebar container, but set margins on the child elements like p, ul, h1-h5, etc.  This is a safe way to avoid box model problems.

If you want a border around all the child elements, but inside the containing div, then you can do this:

<div style="width:200px">

<div style="margin:20px; border:solid black 1px;">

<h1 style="margin:0 10px">H1</h1>

<p style="margin:10px;">paragraph</p>

</div>

</div>

(note: I put the styles inline just for visual representation. They shouldn't actually be put inside the HTML tags like that.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.