[SOLVED] require() reports fatal error, althought the file exists.

ZeroError

I'm pretty new to PHP, and am currently trying to build a very simple homepage which randomises a quote in the middle of the page, but also randomises the colours in the <body> tag.

I used a script from phpjunkyard.com to do the randomising and just require the scripts into the webpage.

I used this code for the body tag:

<body <?php require '/random/rand_bodycolour.php'; ?> >

and this code for the main quote:

<?php require '/random/rand_homebody.php'; ?>

and receive this error:

Warning: require(/random/rand_bodycolour.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/user/public_html/index.php on line 10

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/random/rand_bodycolour.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/index.php on line 10

I had a brief problem when I moved the two files, which I fixed, but this error still occurs.

I must have checked it at least six times, and cannot see anything wrong with it.

Any ideas?

I did a brief Google search, and a quick search of your archives and couldn't find anything relating to my exact problem.

Leading slashes / on file paths refer to the root of the current disk. I'll guess that the random folder is actually in your document root folder? If so, you should form a reference to the document root folder as follows -

require $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/random/rand_bodycolour.php';

Thank you, that seems to have worked. But now I get this error:

Warning: array_rand() [function.array-rand]: First argument has to be an array in /home/kittycat/public_html/random/rand_bodycolour.php on line 56

This is line 56 in the script:

54.     if (count($settings['quotes']))
55.     {
56.     	$txt = $settings['quotes'][array_rand($settings['quotes'])];
57.     }

Ah, cr*p.

I've been a complete idiot and discounted the fact that the file (text_from_file), for whatever reason, could not be found. I used the solution given earlier for that, and it fixed both issues.

Sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for your help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.