[SOLVED] Removing Spaces in a Column?

Solarpitch

Hey Guys,

I have a table with a username column. When people registered to the site I allowed them to enter a username using spaces, but now I want to make their username into a subdomain so they can go myusername.example.com

Is there any way I can run a command so remove any Spaces from the username? Eg:

Currently:

Solapitch Boy 41 -> solarpitchboy41

Usr Delta - > usrdelta

.. and so on

One method would be this...

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table");
$subdomains = array();
while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
   $subdomains[] = array('id'=>$row['id'], 'subdomain'=>str_replace(" ", "", $row['username']);
}

foreach($subdomains as $k=>$v) {
   mysql_query("UPDATE table SET subdomain='". $v['subdomain'] . "' WHERE id='" . $v['id'] . "'");
}

...but it does seem a bit on the long winded side. You could probably combine the loops if you wanted. MySQL may have a method for removing spaces to allow it in a single query, but if it doesn't I don't know it. Having said that, you will only need to run this function once, so I don't suppose it matters a great deal.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.