[SOLVED] Can php detect connection speed and thereafter swap out elements?

webmaster1

No code to post, lads, yet. Just looking for a yay or nay at this stage:

Can a php script be written to make a judgement call on whether or not to display a flash animation or *jpeg based on a threshold like a visitors connection speed?

i.e. I only want to play flash for visitors who have a sufficient internet connection

I suppose you could do this all inside of flash. Using AS3 it would be easy to detect how long something is taking to load, if it takes longer than X seconds you can cancel the loading and just load the image you want to display inside of Flash.

I suppose you could do this all inside of flash. Using AS3 it would be easy to detect how long something is taking to load, if it takes longer than X seconds you can cancel the loading and just load the image you want to display inside of Flash.

So, first run flash detection outside of flash, if flash player then play flash and then check for load time inside AS3? Aw, I haven't adjusted to AS3 yet. I'm still trying to dodge it because I don't understand how actionscript is inserted on the timeline. No excuse though.

Would your solution be on par with a php approach in terms of load time. I need to cater for poor rural connections.

Not exactly, there's really no need to test for flash compatibility because it's so widely supported these days with over 99% of users having support. Although, if you want to I suppose you could, I just don't think it's really necessary.

As for a PHP method the only thing that I can think of would be extremely inefficient and not practical to impose on all visitors.

Not exactly, there's really no need to test for flash compatibility because it's so widely supported these days with over 99% of users having support. Although, if you want to I suppose you could, I just don't think it's really necessary.

As for a PHP method the only thing that I can think of would be extremely inefficient and not practical to impose on all visitors.

Understood and greatly appreciated. I'm off to finally tackle AS3 then. Cheers!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.